Bed Bugs

On June 9th I took my girls to a hotel/water park. About 10 days after being home we discovered bed bugs. I called the hotel to report itbut they said they haven't had any reports of bed bugs. I called Terminix and they did an inspection and said it seems like we have had them short term..just a few weeks due to the size and the fact that they hadn't really spread in our house. It was $800 to have the treatment done. I called htel back and the manger said they have had reports but not on that side of the hotel so we couldn't have gotten them there. I am not giving up. I feel like they should do something for me. My room was $240, I got 2 mattress covers for $80 to put on my bed for prevention, we bought several over the counted bug sprays and used them for 2 days before I researchd and called the exterminator. What steps would you take next with the hotel? I told him I want a 3rd party inspection done..sooo who should I call? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jun. 26, 2012 in Travel

• Eeeww. Not on that side of the hotel? Are they serious? They have to be kidding? Or just ignorant to the fact that bed bugs are "travelers". They travel on people, on people's belongings and they especially like electrical outlets, which means they travel from place-to-place without necessarily hitching a ride from people. My DH is a certified licensed exterminator and has owned a pest control biz for 20 years. As the ladies commented, definitely report them in a review online and to their local health department. If it is a "chain" make a report/complaint to their corporate office as well. All of the hotels need to be in the practice of doing everything they can to deter bed bug activity in their establishments. As in call in the professionals on a regular basis.
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 2:16 AM on Aug. 12, 2012

• wow
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Go here, and report them. http://bedbugregistry.com/

I would also contact the health department and leave reviews on any hotel sites you come across, yelp reviews, etc.

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I would threaten to call the local news! I also suggest Fairy Tales bed bug spray, it is an organick spray you can take with you on vacation and spray the mattress, comforter etc,, it sells for about $12,, and after my friend got bed bugs from a nice hotel,, I don't stay anywhere without it.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:06 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Ew! yes call the health department. I don't think you're entitled to anything.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:36 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I had this happen to me. You call the health department of the county the hotel is located in and report bed bugs in the room. They will go in and inspect the hotel. Once they have completed their inspection, if they have found bed bugs in your room, ask for a copy of the report. They should have no problem giving you a copy. You can then go back to the hotel management and demand compensation. If they still refute the claims, contact an attorney.

FYI, the next hotel you want to stay at, ask to see the room BEFORE you check in. Any reputable establishment will have no problem with this. Look for bugs or black staining along the mattress seams and check behind the headboards too, if possible.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• You can call the health department and they will have to take the necessary steps if there are bed bugs found. If they are found they must notify anyone currently staying in the hotel and take the steps to kill the bugs from their personal items (they can opt out of this).
    There is no regulation that says that they have to do anything for you. It is much as a swim at your own risk pool.

You may get satisfaction by notifying the press in that area or threatening to anyway.
    GL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:27 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• this is my biggest fear, how shitty, I hope they did a good job at extermination and don't give up you deserve some compensation for sure & not a "free stay at their hotel" either.....yikes.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:24 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• What Harsh said ^^^
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:14 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• eeeeeeeeek
    keep on them, don't give up I would, threaten them as that is a hefty bill & stress
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2012