Why do people hate public assistance so much?

I'm always hearing people talk about how terrible it is that people are using public assistance or WIC or anything free for that matter. Did it ever occur to some of you that not everyone is born with the same circumstances or opportunities. If you,and your parents and your parents parents, live in a poor neighborhood for example with poor schools that don't prepare you for college or any type of higher education, and you find your only job options are fast food and low end clothing stores that don't pay enough to get to them let alone raise the children you had b/c no one taught you sex education. Why shouldn't the government that did nothing but foster these conditions by stacking people into projects and cutting the budget on education, and after-school programs and teachers salaries, step in and provide some type of assistance to help pull yourself up out of the mud?

lakecia01

Asked by lakecia01 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• OP, there will be people out there who want to judge others to make themselves feel better. Period. Those are the same people who make fun of parents who have children who act up in a grocery store (saying loudly if that child were in my house for a day I'd teach him better) or make comments like, "that child is too old for a pacifier." A group of judgmental individuals who must have something to rail against or they just won't be satisfied. So no worries. Do the best you can and raise your child with love, support, and compassion. While it is a shame that those families who have a loved one serving their country also need public assistance it is equally shameful to say it is okay to let thousands of children go hungry at night. I don't know anyone's particular circumstance because I'm not in their specific circumstance. Chin up and hold your head high. Know that no amount of money can teach a person class. Obviously.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i think everyones problem is the same as everything else...theres a sterotype that goes along with it. apparently to use any government help you have to refuse not to work, etc. WELL GUESS WHAT MY HUSBAND IS IN THE AIRFORCE AND WE USE WIC. AND IF I NEEDED EXTRA HELP, I WOULD BE ON FOOD STAMPS OR WELFARE. BETTER YET, GROWING UP- MY MOM WAS ON FOOD STAMPS AND WELFARE. thats all it is, i think. but i dont care what people think of me. all that matters is i take care of my child. i do the best i can and i think thats all that matters. :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• IF one is pulling themselves up as did Clarence Thomas and Ben Carson---I am all for it. My aunt was on it many years ago and went on to become a doctor. BUT most don't get off it and it becomes generational--THAT is what most people have a problem with. My daughter works part time and goes to school full time--lives at home and pays for all of her bills------her friend got married, divorced, had a baby, gets assistance, belongs to a gym, and has no job and gets money---yeah, it bothers my daughter when she looks at the taxes she pays. Same background but my daughter set her sites higher and WORKED for what she is achieving--her third degree.

Anonymous

• I am all for our military using the programs---it is a SHAME that our military can even qualify--it breaks my heart because they should be so much better paid. And yet our government wastes so much money on other stupid programs all the while ignoring our military families' needs.

Anonymous

• The question 4 below this one wasn't enough?
    Anonymous

• some were born with a silver spon intheir mouth and taught they were too good for the likes of welfare.Others worked so hard and too proud and never got help and hoard all their selfishness for themselves so think no one deserves any help.
    Anonymous

• Schools in "ghetto" areas get far MORE money per pupil than schools in suburban areas that turn out students with better test scores and better educations on far less money. Then the students from the urban or blighted areas are given extra help, extra slots in major Ivy League colleges and universities, MORE after school programs, MORE of everything and they STILL fail. Obviously money isn't the answer, it's like pouring water down a rat hole. What we need is a thorough overhaul of the urban educational system.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but no sympathy from me.

1. "children you had b/c no one taught you sex education". sorry, but that is the most lame excuse I've ever heard.
    2. "poor schools that don't prepare you for college or any type of higher education". another lame excuse. I've been there, done that. Got a damn good MASTERS degree and still paying off loans.

WILL = WAY

and for the OP, well, people hate public assistance because, IMO, it shouldn't be a way of life. Not a fixed income. It should be there for temporary help.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Because there are people out there that abuse the system and that's the face that's slapped on all those who receive public assistance.

There are people on PA that are trying desperately to better themselves. I am one of those people. I accept unemployment benefits for now and also medicaid. I don't expect to use it that long, but for now I have to feed my 4 kids. I get embarrassed when I go to the doctor (which I only do once a year for myself and once a year for each of my kids) because I don't want to show them my medicaid card. Especially since I was on regular insurance just a few months ago. Hopefully I can get private insurance b4 my other kids need their well child checks.

What I've described is probably what the REAL face of welfare is. Too bad so many people want those on PA to be ashamed.

Anonymous

• Public assistance, WIC, etc., are not free. Even poor people pay taxes (something that a lot of people seem to forget)! Poor people work too, there's something out there called a LIVING WAGE, not many people who are getting assistance are fortunate enough to have jobs that pay it though. There is this stereotype of a welfare queen (which has been proven a myth), sitting around, collecting food stamps, eating bon bons and having dozens of kids to "screw" the system. Reality is much different though. Unless you are physically unable to work, you MUST work to receive any benefits. You can't get around it, if you don't have a job, DSHS will put you to work, below minimum wage, to get benefits. I think that if more people were in a bad situation where they relied on assistance, they'd be rioting in the streets for a living wage so that poor people wouldn't have to rely on the government just to survive.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 8:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009