Do you agree with the following statements made by our founding fathers?

A wise and frugal government… shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.— Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it. — Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

I know we have evolved since 1816 but I feel that these are the core of what made America so great and we are losing that. People reaped what they sowed not what other people sowed!

lil_angel00

Asked by lil_angel00 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• (cont.) The government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government. — James Madison

I feel this statement is also important as is shows the place of gov't. I do believe that gov't is too big and with all the ignorant people in office would you really want them controlling more of your life?
    These founding fathers believe in capitalism, not socialism.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• OH YES, I WATCH FOX NEWS CABLE..WATCH HANNITY,OREILLY,BECK AND LOU DOBBS OVER IN CNN..LISTEN TO RON PAUL..OH WELL, HOW MANY IGNORANT PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE?
    yiayiaann

Answer by yiayiaann at 8:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I agree totally. We are sliding right in to a socialist--Marxist--state:-( Herbert Hoover seen this and wrote his book--Challenge to Liberty---after FDR won the election and began to grab power for the Executive branch and institute Socialist programs.....

Anonymous

• Glad to see your getting your information from an educated source yiayiaann.
    Anonymous

• You sound like a Libertarian... I am sure you are aware of what they stand for...
    Anonymous

• I agree with Capitalism, however, I also agree with helping your fellow man/woman. I do not mean "support" your fellow man/woman but to lend a helping hand when needed. I think that if we were to "take care of thy neighbor" the way that we should by TEACHING a man to fish and not GIVING a man a fish, we wouldn't be nearly as afraid of the possible implementation of Socialism under current administration.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• There is an ignorance of what socialism is--it isn't a nice little system where those in need get what they need!!!! That should be left up to the people and the churches--like it once was--but with the tax burden and the regulations, churches can't operate like that any more. Socialism is the take over of the government of the means of production and controlling the masses---it takes away the incentive to produce and invent. Socialism is not about "fairness" it is about control. And it is a challenge to Liberty--the rights of man to direct his own life---read Thomas Jefferson's quotes!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• "it isn't a nice little system where those in need get what they need!!!!"

True, it's a nice little system where everyone gets something, but nobody gets what they completely need.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I do know what libertarians stand for and I must say I don't agree with most of what libertarians stand for. I do think we should have a fiscally responsible gov't , I am 100% pro-life and don't think I should have to pay for someone's abortion when I don't believe in it. I also believe that we should have less gov't and I don't feel we should steal from the rich to give to the poor. I love to give to charities but they are charities that I value and not all charities are run effectively and I should not be forced to give to those.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I agree that we should teach a man to fish and not give him a fish. I feel like a lot of the programs we are supporting through taxes are giving away fishes.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009