urgent - baby fell off bed

help - my baby fell off our platform bed and i think he hit his head on the ledge of it, then landed on our hardwood floor. it was while i was putting him to bed on our floor. i picked him up and held him and he stopped crying in less than a minute. he has a small scratch on the side of his head i think from landing on the ledge of the bed. called ped and she said she doesnt think i need to take him to the ER, but just wanted more opinions. i know babies fall off beds all the time, but just need some guidance.. scared he could have broken something or is hemorraging in his head or something. he's sleeping now. after he stopped crying and i checked him out, we continued our normal bed routine b/c he was just acting normal like himself, and fell asleep within the next 15 min.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call the ER and ask them, or if there is an urgent care center take him there. I'd be worried too if it were my child. Chances are he is fine, but knowing how I'd be feeling in your place I would take him.

Answer by Bmat at 9:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would wake him up a few times during the night just to be safe. If something was seriously wrong he would continue to cry or let you know in some way that he was hurt. Babies bones especially are very soft at this age and it takes a lot to break them. It sounds to me like he's fine but I would just try and wake him up a few times tonight just to make sure he doesn't have a concussion. If you are still worried about it tomorrow or feel like there is something wrong, I would take him to the doctor. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just pay close attention to see if any of his behavior changes. Kids are pretty durable.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Also, besides waking him up, look at his pupils, if his pupils are the same, this is a good sign.

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Take him are u crazy?? You never know what could be going on. It never hurts to get a second look!
    DanielleStover1

Answer by DanielleStover1 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Is there a goose egg on his head? bruising? if not,I would think he's okay. But I agree,usually with a head injury possibility you dont allow them to sleep right away. So check a few times,wake him up. Should be okay :) but in the morning,if you're still concerned,take him to the ER.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 9:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• A bump on the head is better than a sunken in area. If the part of the head that was hit, sinks in, it's not good. Then you would definitely need to take him in.

Anonymous

• Let the baby sleep. You don't need to wake him during the night. That's an old wive's tale. If there is no bump, his pupils are the same size, is back to his regular self, all is usually fine. If he acts different in the morning, like he's lethargic, then you should take him in.
    Anonymous

• my daughter fell face first onto the concrete and hit her forehead and scratched her nose when she was 18 months old..i just watched her for a while to make sure she was acting ok..everything was fine with her..i agree w pp
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• actually she was 14 months
    tnteaton

• My son has fallen off the bed and hit the hardwood floors at least... I'll say 8 times! As long as he is acting normal and the same as he did before you shouldn't worry about it. My son is just fine .
    xxsweetpeaxx68

Answer by xxsweetpeaxx68 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2009