Why do people ON welfare get so sensitive about the topic?

People judge. it happens everyday about everything. If you receive any sort of public assistance, why are you so insecure about it? Cafemoms discuss and debate topics, whether a mom who watered down formula and almost killed her baby on WIC, to a mom with 14 babies on welfare. If all we hear are awful stories, yes, we have a right to judge people like this receiving government support. Why so defensive if you are using PA the right way? We are actually helping you by judging and questioning the system with regard to those who abuse it.

Who cares if you are on it, legitimately. I am just sick of hearing excuses for those who abuse it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am sick of being told that because I point out that there is abuse of the system that I am judging and ignorant. Boy, you just can't win with some crowds.  Excuse me, I need another beer (paid for with MY money).  :oP

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I think that you put it in a better light but there are women who use blanket statements and rely on stereotypes for their feelings about the system. I agree that there are those who abuse the system but as you said there are others who are using P.A. who actually need the assistance.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 9:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• im just sick of hearing about it is all.
    just when people say that people that DO use it are pathetic and mooches etc.
    Anonymous

• I imagine that most people use it for a hand up. The problem is that the bad apples spoil the bunch.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• it is a government program and we have every right to judge it.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I was on medical assistance once, years ago when I got pregnant with my first daughter and had no chance of medical care without insurance. The person doing my intake treated me so horribly, basically accused me of milking the system, and yelled at me for a half an hour. I finally broke down in tears, and asked her to show me some other option to have a healthy baby. My case was accepted.

Fast forward 10 months, I had a better job, was able to get health insurance as soon as my daughter was born because it was a change in status, and I called to cancel.

That story is slightly more amusing than the first. They didn't want to let me leave the system! I got like five phone calls, offering me every benefit known to mankind, including cash!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• The point is, the system is just as broken as the people abusing it. Instead of saying ok to the young girl who went from nothing to half way through her freshman year of college with a good job and career ahead of her, they wanted to keep me in the system. Evidently I still needed help.

What a joke.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I received WIC when my son was on formula. I used it they way it was supposed to be used (even returned my unopened containers (which *some* people SELL for $$)). So I don't get all bitter and stuff.
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 10:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I agree with QuinnMae. (Don't get used to it LOL)
    And more:
    But yea, we are here to look at a system and if it is broken, we are to fix it. That is what "the people" do. The welfare system is not working well. There are people who really need it that don't get it and there are abusers that work the system. I think the whole thing should be dismantled and we should go back to families and churches and communities supporting our own people.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• proudsinglemom....you had extra!! lol i used wic, im really greatful for the program. I am a single mom too....but i always had to buy more, which, OMG i used foodstamps for. I work as a CSR at a bank and i am almost done with college. I dont see anything wrong with gettin PA if you need it. i hate when people are like, thats what my tax money is paying for and blah blah blah, who cares, you still have to pay taxes. all i can say is get over yourselves..!!!!
    Anonymous