C-section and breast feeding

i had a s-section with my second baby on the 18th may. unfortunately i just don't have enough breast milk, and i tried the whole breastfeeding as much as possible (all the time) but even the constant sucking of my son didn't help increase the supply. my question is that could the reduced breastmilk supply be due to the trauma of a repeat c-section after 30 hours of contraction and 3 weeks of painful early labour? He feeds on the breats for maybe and 1hour aot 2 in 24 hours and the rest is all formula. do u think there is any benefit of that limites breast milk or he may as well not have that either?

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 26, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How do you know you have decreased milk production?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:23 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• because my son would literally suck for 2 hours straight, switching sides with the breasts but still would cry for more when i'd pull him away cuz i'd get really bad back pain and sore nipples. then after a few mintues i'd put him back on and he'd still be fussy. i tried pumping, not much milk would come out with that either....i'll be seeing my doc on frriday. i really wanted to breast feed, the same happened with my first baby.
    fay101

Comment by fay101 (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• I'm all for breastfeeding, but it sounds like you have a legitimate supply issue. I would ask your doctor if there is anything he could give you to stimulate production before you call it quits. The fact that you are at least producing SOME gives me some hope for you, but I could definitely understand quitting. It isn't like you haven't given it a good effort at this point.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:32 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• OK-
    1. pumping IS NOT a good indicator of milk production
    2. BM digest faster than formula- what you're describing is very normal
    3. If the child is going through a growth spurt- it really does seem as if they can NEVER be off of the tit
    4. sore nipples are very common-
    a. try going with out a bra
    b. leave BM to dry on the nipple
    if however the pain is completely unbearable the child may be "tongue tied" (google)
    5. sore back- pillows! and then more pillows
    6. please- unless the child is malnourished and failure to thrive do not supplement- it is counter productive
    We have:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325?ct=beta_topnav_dropdown_grouplist

And there are lactation consultants there

And ultimately- all that really matter is that baby is fed.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• "because my son would literally suck for 2 hours straight, switching sides with the breasts but still would cry for more "

Honey, that's NORMAL! Theyt're born to be on 24/7 in the first weeks. That's not at all indicative of a supply problem. The ONLY indication of a supply problem isthe number of dipes you change. One per day of life in week one. 6-8 changes per day thereafter.

C-sections themselves typically do not cause supply problems. But I don't think you have one... I think there's an information problem going here. No one told you baby is being normal.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:56 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• Oh. And normal pump output is a mere half ounce to two ounces TOTAL once milk is in, anywhere from 3-6 days postpartum. More is gravy, less is not a worry... there are women who can nurse multiples and not pump a drop.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:57 PM on Jun. 26, 2012

• If you are worried about supply, you could try a supplemental nursing system (contact your local la leche league or the nursing consultant at the hospital). I used one for a couple weeks after my 4th child was born (via csection) until breastfeeding was well established. It was a great way to make sure my baby was getting the calories he needed, but not sabotage breastfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 3:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2012