My 8 month old son WILL NOT sleep for the life of him.

He used to sleep 10-12 hours a night when he was about 4-6 months old. Now he wakes up EVERY night at 3AM screaming for a bottle. He'll do that 3 or 4 times a night. I am getting frustrated. We have a routine at night that he knows once we start bath time, its time to wind down and get ready for bed. I don't know what to do!!!

CamCamsMama

Asked by CamCamsMama at 10:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possible he's cutting teeth, or having acid reflux issues. If he's on solids I would feed him solids just before bed, to fill the stomach. I'm going through this with my 11 month old right now as well. Good luck to you!
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 10:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son is grown now,but when he was a baby even a toddler he was a handful.It was hard to get him in the bath,let sleep through the night.Until I started to bathe him in lavender and read stories to him at night.I also put on a soothing cd for him to sleep to and told him that mommy is right in the next room.His father was in the Marines,so he wasn't home alot.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Of course several things could be the issue but when my youngest started to do the same thing I read tons of what-if books. One pointed to the thought that at that time of night it was most likely due to being cold. So I got a thicker blanket and covered her up after she was good and asleep and the middle of the night wakings stopped. Good luck.
    Mommy2Bears

Answer by Mommy2Bears at 10:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• it could be because he needs more food during the day or he is teething. i went thru the same problem and i figured out she needed 3 meals during the day instead of 1-2
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• oh yes and i figured out she was really cold haha so id put a bigger blanket on her
    Keeely07

• hmmm, well if he was doing so well on his own for so long and now is not .. i would immediately think it is a medical/developmentaal issue.

like mentioned, teething/reflux, etc. can be the cause, that is something yu can't do anything aobut, and you'll just have to accept a temporary change.

However, I highly suggest the book The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley. I have a 19 month old who just this month has started sleeping more than 1-2 hour stretches thanks to this book. And I never ever leave her to cry herself back to sleep.

I posted some "tools" from the book that were helpful for me, they are in this thread:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/122190/Getting_a_10_month_old_to_fall_asleep_on_his_own?cat_id=&answer_added#answer

good luck!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Our son did the same thing... it started after being sick and then became a habit. For him it got to the point he was waking 6-8 times every night. What worked for use in the end (but may not work for your family) was to let him cry.
    He still gets up once/night to eat... but it's SO much better!!
    The very first night he cried for 20 minutes (checked on him every 5) the second night less than 10... and now only a couple of minutes 1-2
    If he wakes we let him cry for a little bit... until it either goes for more than a few minutes (usually he puts himself back to sleep within 2 minutes) OR he starts crying really hard... most of the times it starts as a fussy cry.
    First we try to just soothe him back to sleep without picking him up... if it doesn't work then we pick him up and usually feed him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2009