Getting a 10 month old to fall asleep on his own...

My son is breastfed and I want to be able to put into the crib and let him fall asleep on his own. He is used to being rocked to sleep since he was first born. He wakes up with gas most nights which causes me to put him up and rock him yet again. Any suggestions? If I leave him in the crib, he flops around and stands up and cries and cries. I don't like the Cry it out method so if anyone has any ideas....

misspig2885

Asked by misspig2885 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• im in the same boat as you hun..i dont like the cry it out method at all! it sucks and ive heard bad things about it.
    Anonymous

• This wasn't my first or even tenth option...lol, but it works. I finally gave in to my ped and started giving a pacifier. My son just neede something to suck on so he could sooth himself to sleep. Now when he wakes up in the middle of the night, I put his "binky" back inhis mouth and he goes right back to sleep. (might be too late for a 10 month old..don't know).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Have you tried the baby gas drops? Also I was told by my sons grandma that if you let a plain saltine cracker completely dissolve in a bottle of water and give it to the baby it works at naturally relieving gas. You might also want to consider a pacifier. or a soothing toy that plays lullabyes, or a night light.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Get The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elisabeth Pantley NOW, lol. I have a 19 month old, yes 19 month old, who up until this month was waking to nurse every 1-2 hours since she was born. How am i still alive? Lol, I dunno. But anyway, I have never ever ever ever let her CIO. The minute that sweet little pokey lip comes out, I'm butter. Even if she is being REALLLLY naughty and I want to glue her to her bed after her 6th night nursing!

Anyway, if you really follow the book like she says to, you WILL see results. I was so skeptical because NOTHING works with my daughter, lol. She is as high needs as she can get, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd do it just hte same way. We still co-sleep and BF btw.

Anyway, while you await your book, I'ma make another post and tell you the key things that REALLY made a diff. to me. Seeing as I am almost out of letters, haha.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• K ... #1 .... introduce a lovey, if they don't already have one. My daughter has never had a lovey or paci besides me, hehe. She took to the lovey quickly. For her it is a soft doll she picked out. it can be anything, make sure it is safe, of course. The key is at first to place the lovey between you and babe at EVERY nursing session. if your LO is old enough, ask them to go get the lovey if they want to nurse. talk about the lovey, how nice/soft/warm it is. The idea is to get them to like another object a bit, so that if they wake up at night, it will comfort them. I have witnessed my daughter wake up, fuss, grab her lovey, and roll over. i layed there, STUNNED, lol.

damn .. another post is comming!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• #2 ... this is GREAT for the heavy nurser. when baby is nursing nursing nursing and you finally get to that slow down period, gently unlatch your baby, if he/she roots/fusses gently take your finger and put it under his/her chin, applying gentle pressure. and if your baby likes to be shushed/soothingly hummed to, etc, do this if they resist, and uhm, they WILL, lol.

In hte book she says you will probably do this 10 times a night, for a week or two, but you WILL see they accept it better and better.

if they get upset, just give the boob back, and try try again. this is something my dauhgter caught on with vey quickly, then I laxed "the rules" and she regressed a bit, we are back at it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• So yeah, those are the main things that help us. I am fully confident in another 6 months she will be sleeping all night long. Your baby may do it much faster as mine is very stubborn and high needs :)

however, remember that lifelong habits are not created overnight and your baby is still WAY young.

good luck mama and i applaud you for rejecting harmful CIO theories and doing what is naturally best!
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• We still have to swaddle our 6 month old for that reason. If he is not wrapped up he will lay there kicking and rolling around and keep himself up all night. But when he's swaddled he falls asleep almost right away and stays asleep all night. He outgrew the receiving blankets, so I had to buy a bigger lightweight blanket to use. Weird part is, he knows how to unwrap himself but he never does!
    Anonymous

• For the gas, look at what you are eating. Nuts, broccoli, onions, lots of things could be giving him gas. Also you can try the pacifier. But I never forced my babies to sleep alone. We believe in the family bed.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have a 10-month old and what I'm doing now is what my husband and I have done to our two older children. Our bedtime routine starts when I breastfeed my child to sleep. Most of the time, when I'm lucky, I'm able to put him in his crib. But when it doesn't work, my husband comes in and rocks him to sleep (for about 5-10 mins) then puts him down. Should he wake up anytime during the night, my husband either pats him gently or rocks him back to sleep depending on how awake and upset the baby is.

We will patiently do this routine until our baby gets used to going back to sleep on his own.

Good luck! I hope something will work out for you as well.
    mioneh

Answer by mioneh at 12:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2009