Do potential employers have the right to know you are pregnant?

I am going on an interview for my DREAM JOB next week and I just found out I am pregnant. I have had two miscarriages in the past year, so I know better than to assume all will go well and I don't want to raise a possible reason for them to overlook me in the event that something does go wrong again and therefore eliminate them needing to know. I really don't like the idea of being offered the job, or taking it, and then having to tell them I am pregnant and have them know I probably knew during the interview. I don't want to seem devious, but I don't want this fantastic new for me to become an issue for them. Any help? How would you handle this?

mileymoo

Asked by mileymoo at 10:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You do not have to tell an employer or potential employer that. And it is illegal for them to ask or inquire that at an interview.....for one you could get the job and not have known you were pregnant, or get pregnant right when you take the job...for starters. It is discrimination for an employer to not hire a woman just because she is pregnant, although it happens AL the time. Don't tell them. It's not devious, it's looking out for yourself. And after all, you could work 8 or 9 more months before you take maternity leave, and that is well enough time to proove yourself to an employer!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• You are under no obligation to tell them that you are pregnant and unless this job has major physical activity, they do not need to know that you are pregnant. You don't want to give them a reason not to hire you...although it is against the law to discriminate against a pregnant woman, a lot of them do and it's hard to prove that's why you didn't get the job. Like any pregnancy, I'd keep quiet until I made it through my 1st trimester before saying anything to anyone. They cannot fire you for not telling them that you are pregnant before hand. I know it's probably the moral thing to do, but you need the job and like you said, you have had miscarriages in the past. So, I'd just stay quiet about it for now. GL.

Anonymous

• Dont tell them untill after you've been hired..act like you Just found out. they wont want to hire you! even though its illegal like MissHeidi said
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Not telling them is unethical. Of course they wouldn't want to hire you. They want someone who is going to do the job. Not leave in 7 months for who knows how long. Then they will have to find someone all over again. And if they do hire you they will find a reason to fire you anyway because you lied to them.

Anonymous

• They will not fire you for being pregnant and "lying" to them. It's not anyone's business until you are into your second trimester. If you do an outstanding job, they will look forward to your return!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• No. And do not tell them. They are not supposed to use it against you, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone becomes suddenly "more qualified".
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Yes, they do have a right to know. It is their right, because if you are pregnant, there are certain things you can or can not do, such as lifting heavy objects, flying from one of their offices in one part of the country to another, etc. They have a right to know, so they can protect you even if you choose not to protect yourself.
    shock77777

Answer by shock77777 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I went in for job applications showing and didn't acknowledge the fact I was pregnant until after I was hired. hahaha I just pretended I ate too much chicken that day or something.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• they have a right to know if they hire you and then in a few months you wont be there
    Anonymous

• Let's just say this. As of right now, you don't know you're pregnant. K? Trust me, there's nothing they can do about it. And if you tell them, you will more than likely not get the job.
    Anonymous