• In the Spotlight:

as anyone potty trained any little ones under 2???

my son is 16 months now and i think i want to start the potty training. he always wants to watch people on the potty...he constantly tries to go in the restroom if anyone is in there and follows me quite often...hs starting to show interest in the toilet (just lifting the lid and pointing at it)

how should i start it? juststraight to the trainging undies? or start with pullups??

momand17

Asked by momand17 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would just get him used to the potty first and then go to pullups.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My ds started the same way, interest in what was going on at about 15 months and was totally daytime potty trained by 20 months and fully a bit after turning 2. Just take it slow, no stress about it and see if he wants to use the potty. As far as pullups, I used to work in a daycare that BANNED pullups because they are terrible to change a poopy when the child is used to pushing it down themselves and really are just diapers with out the tapes, and cost way more than diapers, if a child can push them down and pull them up they can open the tape if they want to do it themselves. I personally made a really big deal about big boy undies and let my son pick them out and used rubber pants over them for back up when he could be dry for a couple of hours and tell me he had to go not just go when I asked.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I am 100% against using Pull Ups for all the reasons mentioned by the PP.  We went straight to regular underwear.  I trained my son in eight days at 19 1/2 months old.  I have written about it in my blog.  It's a little opinionated, lol, but it gets down to the specifics of exactly how I did it.  My son has been out of diapers for six months now with no regression.  He's had one accident since around Thanksgiving, so he's doing awesome.  Just click on the link below to read the blog.

Raising Rocco Blog

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• yeah i started my girl at 13 months... panties only.... haha yesss it does get messy.... do it on a weekend if you work.. bed time pullups... thats what i did... not she is almost 3 and wips and turns on the light by her self... ect... everythin gi s" i got it i do it... hahhaaa
    Dayna-Marie

Answer by Dayna-Marie at 2:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Every child is different some are ready early and some it takes a few years longer. My oldest was totally trained way before 2. My youngest was 3 1/2 before I could actually say she was ready. Some kids are over 4. Just remember.......patience is a virtue. 16 months is awfully young.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My oldest wanted to be potty trained at 13 months. I didn't really do anything. He peed on his train set and after that he thought it was super cool so he didn't want to use diapers anymore. Once I noticed he was using the potty most of the time I just bought him undies. My other kids were all around 2 1/2. I don't use pull up. Total waste of time when potty training. They are too close to diapers.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Are you just too lazy to let him be a baby or what? If he wants to try fine but I wouldn't start seriously potty training. He's just not physically mature enough to be fully trained.. Let him be a baby and learn at his own pace. As long as he's trained by 3, you're good.
    Anonymous

• i would just start letting him sit on the potty at times when people normally need to go, waking up, after a meal ETC, and nothing will probabably happen for a while but he will get used to the potty and will start to understand what is going on. my daughter started sitting on the potty around 18 months but never even went in it until about 2 weeks ago, 20 months. now she has peed once and pooped once and she is starting to get it. it takes time but i dont think it is too early to start introducing him to it.
    abygalesmom

Answer by abygalesmom at 3:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• WELL I ACTUALLY LEFT HIM STILL IN DIAPERS AND JUST KEPT TRYING TO ENCOURAGE HIM TO GO OR TO TELL ME POPO WHEN HE NEEDED TO GO...AND IT ALSO HELPS IF UR SON LIKES STICKERS MAKE LIKE A LITTLE CHART AND EVERYTIME HE TELLS U AND GOES TO THE POTTY LET HIM PASTE A STICKER ON THE CHART.JUST EVERYTIME HE FORGETS TO TELL U DON'T GET FRUSTERATED. BECAUSE IT WILL ONLY MAKE HIM GET SCARED AND TAKE LONGER FOR U TO POTTY TRAIN HIM.... MY SON STARTED WHEN HE WAS 18 MONTHS.... BUT JUST TRY TO BE PATIENT BECAUSE THEY WILL FORGET TO TELL U BECAUSE IT'S SOMETHING NEW FOR THEM.MY SON IS 22 MONTHS AND HES POTTY TRAINED......SINCE HE WAS 19 MONTHS.....BUT THE ONLY THING IS HE DOESNT LIKE PULLUPS....LOL
    Naralie

Answer by Naralie at 5:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2009