How do you feel about siblings of the opposite sex sharing a room?

I'm having a baby girl in March and we have a two year old son. I am planning of keeping the baby in our room until she can have her own. I don't think I want them to share. How do you guys feel?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• It ususally isn't a problem until between five and seven. My daughter and sons shared a room for quite a while until we moved. But even then until my oldest started puberty they wouldn't think twice about sleeping in the same room or even bed. (With supervision). Now tho' all my kids are in puberty at one stage or another. Having them all in the same room whether dining room or bedroom can spontaneously cause arguements. (Noone even has to say anything! MOMM SHE LOOKED AT ME. ) Think of all you have to look forward to. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My brother and I are three years apart and growing up we were the best of friends (still are). We would always have 'slumber parties' (as we would call them). We even shared a room for a couple of years until we moved and had our own room. I would say around age 10 was when I no longer would have wanted to share a room with him. Hope this helps! Good luck and congrats!
    AHernandez3412

Answer by AHernandez3412 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Do what works best for you. Right now my six year old ds and my four year old dd share a room. They both want to share with each other, and I don't think it's a big deal at that age. They have bunk beds so no one is 'sleeping together' and getting dressed is no big deal, since they already know who has what parts (ds has seen his sisters get their diapers changed, dd knows what parts ds has since he always insists on peeing with the door open.) Eventually I plan to have the two girls share the big room and my son have the smaller room to himself, but right now they enjoy sharing and it makes more sense to put them together than to put the two girls together, since my two year old wakes up at the crack of dawn. I would just be open-minded until the time comes... you may feel differently when your dd is born, or you may not- it's up to you!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I think age 5 is when they shouldn't share rooms anymore. Imo though.
    JaeleensMommy

Answer by JaeleensMommy at 3:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids share a room through necessity and I don't see a problem with it. If you really have to, you could always hang a divider (sheets or curtains).
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 8:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I shared a room with my brother until after we were school age. If wasn't a problem. I would say up until about seven is ok. After that, the hormones kick in (yes, as early as 8) and they need their privacy and they don't need any creepy feelings about the opposite sex sibling.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it when they are little.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Sadly I shared a room with my two younger brothers until I was 16 years old and moved into my grandmothers house. My mother either never made my feelings a priority or couldn't afford to move. In my opinion they should share a room until maybe 5 or so...
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• when their little its fine. My oldest share a room until they were 6 and 3.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My 3 older kids share a room. They are 8 (girl), 7 (boy) and 6 (girl). My almost 3yo daughter has her own room. Eventually she will switch with her brother but I don't see that happening for a couple of years.
    The older three CHOSE this sleeping arrangement when we moved here. In our old apt. my son had his own room but always sneaked into his sisters' room to sleep by them so when we moved I gave them the choice of the 2 small rooms (with my son sharing with the baby) or the older 3 could have the big room. They chose the big room and get along pretty well.
    But, then again, my son and 6yo dd have no problems changing or bathing together. My 8yo just hides in the corner or goes in the bathroom to change. I'm sure the 3 of them will decide when it's time for him to move out. Right now it's not even a thought.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2009