Baby foods

My son is almost 6 months old and we started him on baby foods about 2 weeks or so ago. He is doing very well and is enjoying trying the different fruits and veggies. Today he actually ate 3 times and the last meal he ate the whole container of sweet potatoes! I'm pretty excited about it. But I just want to double check that I'm not over feeding him. I mean I know if he's not hungry he won't eat. But I'm just checking. Also I am breastfeeding him, and we still have not been able to get him to eat out of a bottle. So my SO asked me if we can mix breastmilk in with baby foods?

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 11:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never got the oppertunity to breastfeed my son,who is now 21 yrs old.I didn't change him from a bottle to a sippy cup until he was at least a year old.Its really up to when the baby is ready.I would ask his pedictrican.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• yes, you can mix them. when i started on baby food i mixed one once of babyfood with one once of formula (dried up by this point lol). but if he is eating the babyfood and doing well on it, would you need to mix it?
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Are you making his baby food? If you are, you can mix them. I am still breastfeeding my 9 month old son and I just used water to thin out the food. When my son was at that age he wouldn't drink from a bottle either but he will drink from the bottle or a sippy cup. Just keep trying!
    HaydensMaMa424

Answer by HaydensMaMa424 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I regularly mix milk with Carter's cereal. I feel like it makes it more nutritious than just plain water. Sometimes I use powder formula plus fruit juice for some flavor and variety (and an added shot of vitamin c). Usually, a baby will stop eating when they have had enough.
    krystel.justice

Answer by krystel.justice at 11:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I think 2-3 tablespoons/meal is about right. I wouldn't do more... it's more important that he takes breastmilk than foods at this age.
    I make most my sons baby food (he's also 6 months) and I give him 1 tablespoon oatmeal with 1 cube fruit (about an ounce) in the morning... sometimes mixed with breastmilk
    In the after noon and before bed... 2 cubes fruit or veges or one of each
    If you are using jarred foods... mixing breastmilk might make them too runny. But it works well to mix with cereals. Or if you make your own foods, they tend to be thicker and then you can thin with breastmilk.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Feed to his demand. Always nurse first. If he will still take solids after that, then go for it. You can try a sippy cup at this point if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009