Breast Engorgment (sp?)

My son is almost 6 months old and I have been breastfeeding him the whole time. He has been sleeping through the night since he was around 4 months old. We put him to bed around 8:30 and he usually doesn't wake until 8 or 9 to eat, then we'll lay him back to sleep for another hour or so. But I have to try to wake up and wake him up to eat because my breast get sooo full and painful. I do have to wear breastpads because I leak. But I feel like my body should be used to him to wanting to eat, so maybe I shouldn't be getting so full? Is there anything I can do besides waking him to eat and pumping 2 times a night?

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 11:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• I bf all 3 and from my experience you shouldnt pump if hes not getting up through the night, then you dont either, try it and see if it helps, the more you pump the more you will produce.... You should be producing only what he needs at this point.... I could be wrong, its been 4 yrs since i bf my last one....
    Anonymous

• DON'T pump at night. If you continue to do this, your body will continue to produce for those pumping sessions. When you stop, it will get the signal that it does not need to make as much milk at that time. If you pump twice at night, start by pumping once at night for a week, then drop the second pumping session. You should find relief soon.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It's not necassairly that he's not waking to eat that if filling you so much. You produce most of your milk at night when you're sleeping. Pumping isn't such a bad idea, with wearing pads at night you should be able to pump in the am only once and be fine. If it's too much to you to bear I've heard that cabbage leaves are great for relieving engorgement.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2009