• In the Spotlight:

Placenta Previa and Sex?

Please help...

As a mother, you always hope you can answer your kids questions, no matter how old they get. My daughter and her husband are expecting their first child. My daughter is 27 weeks pregnant, with an EDD of 24 Apr 09 and just found out she has placenta previa. Because of this condition they were advised not to have any sexual intercourse during the rest of the pregnancy.

My daughter however was too embarassed to ask her doctor this question, but I think it's important to know, not only for her and her husband, but for anyone in the same situation.

THE QUESTION IS: CAN THERE BE ANY DANGER, if my daughter herself gets sexually aroused, (Such as in giving her husband oral sex, or by watching a sexually explicity movie.) perhaps causing the uterus to contract and thereby possibly causing an early and dangerous labor.

shock77777

Asked by shock77777 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Honestly, she needs to ask the doctor. I think theoretically that could be a problem. But the risks being so high, can she not just refrain? Bleeding to death is a very serious complication.
    Anonymous

• My mom had lost three babies to Placenta Previa,but that was in the 60's.She had to take a drug to keep my brother and I.Just as a cautionary measure I would tell her to refrain from anytype of sexaul arousal,or heavy lifting nor walkng too much.Try this website WEBMD.com. I am only a retired surgical technologist,so I only have medical books pretaining to that profession.I do have a medical cyclopedia.She needs to understand that her doctor is a professional and that he/she isn't there to post judgement on her.Because I was in the medical profession,I had been asked many different types of questions.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I had a partial previa and to be safe...just avoid it! I had to stop having sex at 14 wks!
    NiHao

Answer by NiHao at 11:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• ..why dont you call L&D for her and ask one of the nurses..they should know the answer to that. or leave a message with her dr since she's rather embarasses to ask. atleast she can come to her mother!! i definately can talk about this subject with my mother..not many can!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2009