can autism be inherited?

I was told that autism could be inherited by the fathers gene...

Debbie9191

Asked by Debbie9191 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Scientists have found a genetic defect for autism though not all kids with autism have that defect. Most likely, further research will find more defects. That defect can be inherited from either parent.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I feel that autism is genetic but the environment also exacerbates it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• There is a strong suspicion of a genetic link....from either side. My older two are undergoing evaluations and testing and each time it comes up about anyone in either family being on the spectrum.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes!
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:16 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well when my son was diginose years ago they believed it was , although there is nobody on either side of my or kyle's farther. That every had a birth defect, ,We asked both grandparent's this question and from far back as they could remember there were no children that had any birth defect's , I see where you are coming from thow with about the research on the genetic components , wondering why would't it be inheritated. . As with heart and cancer over weight,thing's like these can be inheritat. Darn good question . This was 1993 so the question being back then was zero reason why, until the rate of autism started growing and I am sorry but there is no way, this many kid's just all of a sudden are getting this passed down from there relative's.. Or parent's that's my take on it ..
    MommyJanice44

Answer by MommyJanice44 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes it can be. Sometimes it skips generations.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 4:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My son's father has a son who is my stepson and he is 25 he is fine...So if it comes from the father boy did Chris get lucky. sorry doubled my answer..lol
    MommyJanice44

Answer by MommyJanice44 at 7:42 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I would think yes... it seems to be more common is some familys.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• it runs in families. You have a strong likelyhood of having other children with autism if you already have one. So it most be genetic to some extent.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• yes I definetly feel that.it can be caused by genetic factors......I have a daughter with aspergers.
    I have my quirks and so does my husband.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:03 PM on Feb. 11, 2009