May3 year old daughter has alittle cough I was wondering if vicks would helps with the cough? Thanks

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Now Dr.'s are saying not to use vicks...can cause damage(from what their study shows) I had vicks on my as a kid...we don't use it for our kids though
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Are you talking about Vick's Vapor Rub? There was a news article that said using it on children two and under my cause respiratory distress. Just don't put it under her nose and she should be fine by using it.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSTRE50C14Z20090113
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• make sure to use BABY vick's and put it on her feet, with sock's before bed. a spoon full of honey works better than most cough syrups too
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I use honey sticks and tea, i stay away from vicks it is bad for small children, i only use the plug in vicks for my pre-teen and myself when we are at our worst and then only sparingly.

try a health food or tea store they have honey sticks with herbs added that are amazing, i keep a stock of them from a small honey shop i go to once a year, whenever i see colds coming on i hand one over to the kids and they help quite a bit and the kids love them.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I make a hot tea drink. about 1 cup warm tea, mixed with 1 tbsp honey and a couple squeezes lemon juice. Have her sip it slowly and it should help.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2009