What questions should I ask the ENT?

My son's 15 months old. He's had 13 ear infections from April 2008 to January 2009. He had tubes put in place in early September of 2008. Since his tube placement he's had 7 ear infections. I just wanna know WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?!?! The tubes were, if nothing else, supposed to help his ear infections. We're going back to the ENT that put his tubes in on the 5th. I just wanna know if anyone can think of what kind of questions I can ask him that will maybe help?
I am going to ask about his adenoids, but other then that and tonsils I don't know what could be causing this.

allie_doud

Asked by allie_doud at 11:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Health

• I would have to say it is either one of them or both.Does he ever fall sleep with his bottle in his mouth?Does he have ear plugs?I would have to say it is caused by a cold.Try going on WEBMD.com.I would suggest asking his pedictrican.
    Jeffsmom87

Answer by Jeffsmom87 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would get a second opinion....Your pediatrician should be able to give you names of other specialists...Goodluck, hope your lil one feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• Does he have allergies? That could be bringing on the ear infections. Is he exposed to alot of children as well? As far as questions for the ENT we just saw one today and to be honest I don't have any good answers for you. I am sure he is doing everything he can you just need to find the cause of the infections what is causing the fluid at this point. I think the tonsil and adnoid question is a good one. I had alot of problems when I was a child due to the tonsils and therefore they took them out.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I had tubes as an infant that fell out when I was 2. I had holes in my ear drums all through my childhood and could never get my ears wet (ear plugs didn't work!) I got ear infections all the time. When I was 9 or 10 they tried putting a paper patch over the holes but they just fell off too. Then they tried a skin graft by taking a piece of skin from behind my ears and using it to cover my ear drums. That worked until the skin grew and formed a cyst on my eardrums! Then they had to go in and remove that. Luckily the last surgery at 12 fixed it all and I'm lucky that I only have a slight hearing loss in only one of my ears. I'd ask the ENT about what happens if they can't get the tubes to work. Hopefully they have something better to do than to leave the poor kid with holes in his eardrums like they did me! Good luck.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would also ask about both. I had the same problem when i was little. Last year i had 5 dub. ear infections. I would get better then another would come. I landed up having to get my ear drum taken out my lft ear. It had a tumor on. It came back neg. Ask the ENT is there more tests he can do also vist another ENT. maybe you will finally get a good anwser. gl hun
    Anonymous

• are you putting ure child down with bottles or sippie cups for nap time or bed time..cuz if u are thats one of the reasons causeing it.
    Serenityc21

Answer by Serenityc21 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thanks for all the advice! I am thinking that after the ENT visit we might schedule an appointment with an allergist just to make sure. But no allergies as far as I know, he is in daycare so I knew that there would be some colds and snotty noses from that. And he doesn't get bottles anymore and no sippy cups are allowed in his crib.
    allie_doud

Answer by allie_doud at 10:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2009