Is this normal while breastfeeding??

Im breastfeeding my 2 week old girl...and she eats out of both sides and afterwards... she cries because she is still hungry.. Meanwhile I've emptied out... I'm making about 3 1/2 ounces per side.. per feeding...
Why is she still hungry?
I've found I have had to start supplementing her with formula...only then is she content!

Amandah1982

Asked by Amandah1982 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She is having a growth spurt, they eat more when growing, babies typically have a spurt every 2-3 weeks then it tapers off to every 4 weeks and so on as they age, allow her to try sucking longer this gives your bodyt he que to make more milk to satisfy her.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Have you breastfed before? I'm only asking because I breastfed my 6 month old (she is my first child to be breastfed) and I was shocked how much they need to nurse. I thought it was going to be like a bottlefed baby (they eat and are happy for about 3 hours). Well breastfed babies need to nurse alot more. I wish someone had told me that (because I always felt as if she was starving!) What helped me get through it was weighing her (and yes, she continually gained weight). Anyway, that is just my story.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It's a better idea to wait fifteen minutes to half hour, and then feed her again. If you give her formula, your supply will never be enough for her. Although it may seem like you're feeding her all the time.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If you are judging what you make by what you see after you pump, don't. A pumped amount of breastmilk is not an accurate measure of what you're making because pumps do not withdraw milk like a baby can.

I think your baby is getting too much foremilk (the thinner watery milk that letsdown first). Try nursing on ONE side per feeding. At 2 weeks old your baby will nurse almost constantly. She may nurse for 45 min on one side and about 15 minutes later want to nurse again, then use the other side.

By 6-8 weeks, after 2 growth spurts and a lot of nursing, your supply will be pretty much established (until your 3 month growth spurt when she'll nurse constantly again for a few days to encourage you to make more milk for her new "big baby" body).

Supplementing is usually the end to nursing because your body isn't being told to make the milk it needs to and requires MORE supplementing, so just be careful with the bottles.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 1:50 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If she's hungry after both breasts, put her back on the first breast. You are never truly empty. You are making milk even as you nurse. The supplementation can cause your supply to drop if you keep doing it. Just nurse each time your baby seems to need it, even if you just finished. She's only 2 weeks old. Expect her to be attached at the nipple for a few more weeks.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• thast normal, my sister went threw the same thing. It will over with by 5-8 months then u'll eventually put her on straighter formula cuz ure brest will be hurting bad from pumping and breastfreading.
    Serenityc21

Answer by Serenityc21 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• she is going through a growth spurt. do not supplement--just continue to nurse as often as she demands. i know it'll seem like it's all you do but it'll pay off in the end and she won't do it forever. right now she is trying to build up your supply. if you supplement, your supply won't meet her demand, ever. but if you let her nurse whenever she demands it, your body will begin to make more as she needs it.
    kellymom has some great articles:
    "Newborn nursing" --http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    "frequent nursing" -- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html
    "cluster feeding" -- http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    "growth spurts" -- http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

if you go to www.kellymom.com there are TONS of other bfing resources

keep going! you can do it! :) come check out the breastfeeding groups on CM, too.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 1, 2009