Impoverish Countries

If you live in a place where there is very little food and people are dying left and right due to starvation and/or diseases and every day has a very grim outlook....

Wouldn't you not have sex because you would not want have any risk of bringing a child into this kind of life?

I keep seeing these commercials for these poor starving children in other countries and it truly breaks my heart, but at the same time I can't help but to wonder why all these people keep having all these kids who will have to live in these horrid conditions...?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not sure the number of children is the issue. Children are a source of hope for the future. A way to ensure someone will take care of us when we are older. In countries where there is a high mortality rate it would seem reasonable to have multiple children hoping maybe at least a few or one will survive. It is an issue of human rights that comes from the top down. About richer nations not exploring resources and people of those who are not as strong politically or as industriized. I would prefer to see assistance rather than condemnation.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:53 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I'm not saying starving children is something we should ignore and shrug off. I am saying that we have too much tendency to overlay our Western values and life styles over those that differ than ours in order to judge whether or not those different than us ought to be pitied, or, as you ask in your question, willing to reproduce.

There is much wrong in the world and most of it is blind to culture, income, faith, etc. If you are concerned with living conditions elsewhere in the world, find a group that helps not by throwing money at the problem (because in many cases, corrupt local governments benefit more from that than the people do) but help the local residents develop the skills and tools to improve their own lives.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Rape and religious pressure... yeah, those probably factor into it. And don't forget about education and male-dominated cultures. Do you think the 14 year old new bride really understands where babies come from? Think anyone has taught her about birth control (assuming it's even available)? What do you think would happen to her if she tried to put her foot down and say "no" when her much older husband wants some?

10 years later, when she is dying of AIDS or tuberculosis, her 6 kids (the ones who are still alive) are sitting on the dirt, covered in testse flies, while someone videotapes them for a "Save the Children" commercial. And these kids are the lucky ones - someone has noticed them sitting there.

Some things in this world just make me sick with sadness.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2012

• "IMPOVERISHED countries...."IGA
    Impoverished.... Reduced to poverty; poverty-stricken. Nowhere does it say they are stupid or uneducated.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Why would they deprive themselves of one of the few pleasures in life they can afford - sex?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I did not miss the point. You are looking at another lifestyle completel. The very thought of "not having children" is a very Western one that stems from the luxury of having birth control (among many other things) and unlikely to even be considered by people living in impoverished nations. My response was on a similar level as the question.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:32 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• Rape is one reason. It these countries women and young girls are raped and these babies are a result of that. But the fact is those children are here so we just let them starve?
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2012

• they do not see, before a well is built, walking a great distance for the drinking, cleaning, cooking, etc supply of water to be anything to be pitied - it is just what life requires. They value the convenience of a well. They value more so the training and the skills given to locate a spot of the well and the engineering know how to build it on their own. They value the instruction on how to make a dedicated bathroom facility (outhouse style) because life before was sort of 'go where you are.' It's not that they are making a choice to subject their child to poverty as much as they are bringing a child into the world they know. I have friends that have gone to these villages and worked on teams building out the wells and other materials - these villagers sing with such joy in their hearts throughout their day. They have a zeal and an appreciation for little things that we tend to overlook and ignore. They don't see what you do
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• reproductive......a typo.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2012

• But when I think of impoverished country, Africa comes to mind. I know there are other countries out there that are also poor, but Africa is the poorest continent in the world, and has 7 of the poorest countries in the world. Thanks to hyperinflation Zimbabwe has become the poorest country in the world. It used to one of the 10 poorest countries but the 87.9 sextillion percent inflation has left the countries economy into ruins. So I guess I can't can't bitch to much about Obama spending money and such like he is. The govt in Zimbabwe can't actually give Obama pointers! LOL :) Sorry I saw the article and couldn't help with the dig on Obama. I am sure there are shrinks out there that can give a diagnoses on that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 28, 2012