What do you feed your 8 month old?

My doctor says that my son doesn't really need solid food until he is 9 months old. I mostly give him milk, but he eats a fruit or veggie and a meat or cereal each day. I feel like he needs more, but I don't want him to be too full for milk either. He is big for his age, and is happy, healthy, and strong. Am I being paranoid? What does your kid eat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• each of my kids were different, by 8 months some are grabbing for your plate at dinner others are happy to have just baby cereal and jar food, let your child lead you. thats what worked best for us. doctors use a standard at this month babies should start this but no two babies are the same, just use good judgement obviously dont hand over items they will choke on make sure that foods break up easily mashed banana crackers etc.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my aby girl is 9 months old and i feed here breakfast she loves grits and a few bites of a nutrigrain bar then i wait about an hr and give bottle lunch a veggie plus bottle bottles all day whenever she wants about every 3 to 4 hours then dinner what ever i cook that she can eat plus a fruit
    theycallmemomie

Answer by theycallmemomie at 12:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• At eight months, my oldest would eat like no tomorrow. Anything from fruit and veggies to meat to cereal, to pasta. I used to make him a kind of spagetti, that he loved. A tiny bit of meat with pureed tomatoes (skin off of course), over soft cooked spagetti noodles chopped small. He loved it. My second would have choked on the same meal. At eight months he was having about what your son has. Except all his fruits had to be the kind that make them poop because he was prone to constipation. (He wasn't breastfed anymore by that time).
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• At 8 months my guys were almost completely on table foods. They had bits of what we had for each meal and were finishing up the last of the baby food from the cupboard.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• At 8 months my daughter could competantly eat whatever we were eating for dinner ourselves without us having to puree or mash it for her. She just picked up lumps/sticks of food and gnawed (even with no teeth). We never gave her cereals or baby food.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my 8 month old, is on #2 baby food, fruit for lunch veggie for dinner, the usual bottles thoughout the day, in between meals is snacks which is the fun stuff, he has small cut up skinless green grapes, saltine crackers, the gerber puffs, the gerber cookies, apples in the mesh bag thingy, cantalope, pretty much anything i know he will not choke on. When we have potatoes with dinner he has some, mac and cheese just cut up very small, with snacks he has a sippy cup of juice, with meals he has a sippy of formula, the sippy cups is mainly just for him to learn, he still gets formula in abottle.
    As long you lo is gaining weight and heathly and happy you have nothing to worry about.
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 1:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2009