do you let your kids drink tea?

I'm reading that apparently some moms think kids drinking tea is comparable to giving a kid a cup of black coffee. I'm super astonished people think this.

Is your family tea drinkers?

redderbedder

Asked by redderbedder at 12:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Hm.. I always buy decaf green tea so I can drink it all day, and my daughter drinks it too.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my daughter loves tea, i dont add sugar to it, and when she is sick tea and honey are one of the best things for her.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My fiance loves tea, I hate tea. But my 2 year old likes it and she doesn't get all hyped up on it.
    Donna_88

Answer by Donna_88 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We share a cup of black chai with milk and honey every morning. No kidding.

She drinks two or three swallows of mine, and loves it. My older daughter doesn't care for it.

They both occasionally enjoy a chai latte between them, as well. I ask them to go light on the tea and heavy on the whole milk- Bug is under two, and they love it. I don't choose decaf, because the chemical process involved is extensive the payout isn't as great as you would think.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• well.. there isnt an alarming about of caffeine in tea to begin with.
    a cup of black coffee has about 110-150 mg of caffeine while a cup of black tea has 50 mg.
    if youre giving your kid a type of tea with 50 mg - just dont do it before bed, i guess.

for you other tea lovers (high five) there are naturally caffeine free teas.
    Whites and Rooibos i know for certain are caffeine free, and two of the BEST types of tea to drink. Great for antioxidants, and allegedly defend your body from some cancers - as well as so many other benefits.

yay tea!
    im gunna go make myself another cup
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 12:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• me and my daughter have tea almost every day. shes 4. and she love it! she looks forward to our tea time everyday!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes, my daughter has been drinking tea since she was about 2. I assume the people you're referring to were talking about caffeine. Even so, they're mistaken. Depending on the brewing method, coffee has between 100-175 mg caffeine per cup. Black tea has about 47mg per cup (depending on how long you brew). Oolong has about 30mg. Green tea, about 25mg. And White tea has the least at about 15-20mg per cup. Then of course there are herbal teas with no caffeine at all, and decaf teas which still have a few mg of caffeine per serving.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids drink tea and coffee. They are fine. It actually helps them to relax. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Both of my girls would rather drink unsweet ice tea than pop and being a dental asst. for 15 years I would rather them have tea than pop!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2009