My 3 year old just WONT sleep...!!!

I have asked this questions only a few days ago and got great answers and I wanted to go into a little more detail about my son and see what else I can get for advice......

He used to take like 2 hour naps at daycare until I asked my provider to wake him up after an hour thinking he would be exhausted after only an hour rest then running around with 8 other kids all day.........man was I wrong...Last night he was up until TWO AM.....I dont know what else to do!!! I have tried letter him sleep with me, he just rolls around or throws his feet. I have tried sitting in there with the lights off and letting him just give up, I let him watch movies, play his Leapster, read a book....he just does not fall asleep.........I am also wondering how ADD genetics work?? My bf had it when he was young, he still does to a point....would ADD or ADHA be causing him to not just go to sleep?? Or do I just need to try another routine??.

Khris316

Asked by Khris316 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried cutting the nap out entirely? It's hard to do at daycare but I had to stop the naps for my 3 year olds already. If they get more than 20 minutes, then they are up til 10 at night also. We have also gotten in the habit of putting in a movie after bathtime ( about an hour before lights out) and having cuddle time- no toys, no roughhousing- so they calm down. I think it also helps that even if they stay awake, they have to stay in their room with the lights off- and there are no toys in there to play with except stuffed animals.
    twinsmom1214

Answer by twinsmom1214 at 8:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• cut the naps out. my daughter stopped napping at 16 months by choice. she has ADHD and sleeps 12-13 hours at night since she stopped napping. she's 4. she also has an hour before bed to get ready and just calm down, no excitement, she just really seems to need that. she likes to color or watch a tv show in that time. video games get her too wound up, so we had to cut those.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:49 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I've been giving my daughter Melatonin crushed in ice-cream or yogurt 1/2 hour before bedtime since she was 4. Pediatrician recommended it, and it works like a dream. Talk to your peds doc and see what they recommend.

~De
    devante9901

Answer by devante9901 at 12:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2009

• i would try cutting the nap out completely. my 3 year old will stay up til all hours even with a very short nap. i dont mind this on the weekends but during the week it causes problems because she shares a room with her sister who has to get up for school in the morning. try no nap and try sticking to a relaxing bedtime routine if possible. it worked for me.
    jenkent

Answer by jenkent at 1:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2009

• UMMM....first of all ADD is Attention deficit disord, NOT ADHD attention deficit HYPER disorder. ADD is typically for kids who have a hard time focusing, not being hyper and having behavorial problems like ADHD. Second, any peditrician will tell you that kids get overly tired and it makes it really hard for them to fall asleep. He needs to be put on a strict routine 12 hours sleep at night and 2 hours in the day. If he is playing with 8 kids and not getting that much sleep, it just gets worse and worse because he is little body is sooooooo overly tired he can't sleep. Second I would definiately make sure you give him a warm bath, then do lotion, then a book, then a disney moving with you patting/rubbing his back till he dozes off. If the movie distracts him, turn it off and only have his nightlight in the room with you patting and rubbing his back. This needs to be 7 days a week routine.
    Anonymous

• Another idea - have you tried making bedtime earlier? I know with my daughter, if it hits 8 pm and we haven't started her bedtime routine, then she is BEYOND tired and won't settle down until after 10. It's like she catches a 2nd wind (or a 2nd hurricane). She used to have an 8:30 bedtime, but we backed it up to starting her routine at 7, with the goal of having her asleep by 8. And she can't have a tv in her room because she will NOT fall asleep watching it - she keeps herself awake, so there's no point in that.

We have a specific routine and we try to never deviate. I give her melatonin by 7:15, brush teeth, pajamas, a couple of stories, then I turn on soft music and cuddle her in her bed for 10 minutes (I set my cell phone alarm, because I usually fall asleep! Also, she doesn't argue when the alarm says cuddle time is over, it's over). If it's a bath night, she gets in the tub by 6:30 and has to be out by 7:15.
    devante9901

Answer by devante9901 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 3, 2009