Trying to make some small changes, and progress into larger ones

So, i need to drop a few pounds (about 40 to be exact LOL) and i have already made a few changes, but i need a little more advice. I have always ate pretty much junk and i am very picky.
But i am extremely picky, so i pretty much force myself to eat the healthy things. I eat salads with grilled chicken quite a lot and that is getting pretty old.
I keep going back and forth between watching calories, and watching cards instead of sticking with just one, so i think that my have something to do with the weight stall.
I need some ideas on snack ideas, that can be grabed and ate quickly at a desk and be eaten quickly(my boss cant stand it when we eat at our desk). So i have mainly been eating beef jerky. The turkey one has 30 calories. Or cheese.
Is calorie counting or doing low carb better. I know people who do low carb and they loose, but when it comes down to it, i am like " geez, what do i want to eat." LOL
What are some good food ideas? and snack ideas?
Oh, and i love squash, and the ones our supermarket has had latley have been terrible. and they are the only supermarket within 40 miles. So pickins are slim. And i ususlly have to buy a salad from a food place cuase the lettuce is always going bad.
Sorry so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Diet & Fitness

• Do you like fish? Fish is high protein and lower fat and has healthy oils as well. Not everyone likes it and even a lot of people that like it don't like to cook it. It's all about experimenting.

As for a snack, how about carrot or celery? You could probably have those at your desk without much notice and you get rid of the sodium that you are getting with the jerky which can cause water retention.

As for low carb / low calorie, I had more luck with low carb. It was easier to break the white starch / sugars habits than with a plain low calorie diet.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:52 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• i preferred low carb- it was easier
    for me, learning how to maximize food while counting calories was very difficult- but i have seen it work
    i also recently learned that once you become overweight- you need 20%? (wanted to put 70%, lol) fewer calories to maintain weight loss than a person who has never been overweight.

perhaps if you step up the exercise regimen (noticed there is nothing mentioned) you'll get passed the stall?

no food suggestions cause, yeah, you do need to pick one IMO.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:40 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• How are you doing on drinks? Those hold some major calories and sugars. Coffee, tea, water...all zero calories (unless you add stuff to them).

How are you on fruit? I know you said that produce can be bad at the store you have, but I find that I actually LIKE fruit, and I think it is really important to go for food you LIKE so that it can be a lifetime change, rather than temporary to lose weight. If you hate every bite of what you eat while you're on a diet, there is no way you're going to want to keep it up once you've lost the weight.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Make sure to drink lots of water- eat the right amount of calories (you can look up your BMR online) and work out too.
    baby steps- make small goals like drinking so much water every day for a week or working out half an hour 4 days a week or something like that and once you reach those-add to them. Try adding new veggies or whatever as you go

*I don't do the low carb thing-and I still eat something sugary every night -but always eat within my BMR range -higher end on Zumba days-lower end on rest days and so far I've lsot 20 lbs
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:22 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• *for snacks -I'll eat cottage cheese, carrots, puffed rice fried in zero cal. butter, a package of oatmeal, toast, choco milk...

find foods you like- and find exercise you LIKE :)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I have lost over 100lbs. Have you heard of It Works? Check out my blog to see my pictures and more info : www.pamknowsitworks.blogspot.com
    sunnydsmommy

Answer by sunnydsmommy at 12:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2012