Reading - 5 year old?

Our five year old knows his K sight words and is learning 1st grade ones. His reading is really taking off and he's doing great. My question is in regards to actual spelling. He loves writing stuff out for me, but often can't spell words he can easily read. Is this normal? I know he's young, and am not worried about it but just curious if him not being able to spell things he can read is good or bad. Does good spelling just come more from seeing it over and over again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has he just learned to read by sight? Most school systems teach reading by sight and phonics. With phonics, the child learns each sound a letter makes. Then they learn to put the sound together to form words. After they learn to sound out the words phonetically they start to spell words by breaking the word apart sound by sound. Sometimes they spell words phonetically and they still are not correct, but you can sound them out and read the word anyway. This is called invented spelling. My daughters learned to read mostly by phonics and are tremendously good spellers. They had spelling tests in Kindergarten!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If he's reading the sight words (the, he, in, an, on, a, I, etc) but can't spell them then he's memorized how they look but not what letters make the words.

Spelling in general comes from being able to sound out words...knowing what sound a letter makes. My oldest (4) is reading by sight, but not sounding out his words (he recognizes the word "universe" but can't spell it or sound it out). We have to work with him and make him sound the words out....reading by sight (other than obvious sight words) isn't going to help him in the future.

My second son (3) can spell all the brothers' names and various other words (cat, dog, flowers) and sounds words out. He's actually doing better with spelling than his older brother.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• depends on how he's spelling -- invented spelling is totally normal and even when he gets the phonics he may still not spell perfectly cause then he'll spell phonetically and in the English language the 2 often don't match (i.e. brown - has an a sound) and wry/rye read/read/red etc.
    (English is honestly INSANE).
    I would def. not worry about it do the same as you used to b/f let him do the writing then maybe rewrite underneath and you can make games about how to spell some words and talk about why those are the letters that make up that word and just know that eventually there will be spelling test (oh the fun -- we just had our first last week in Pre-K)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:53 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Our district has the kids write "kid writing" they sound out the words and then the adults write the correct way underneath. He will get it or he may not. My son is an excellent reader but a horrible speller. I finally got him a ds game yesterday where he plays spelling games. Maybe you could try something like that if he has a nintendo ds.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It's normal.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes, he knows phonics - guess I didn't make that clear. But like, "was" was a site word so when he went to spell it he didn't remember how to spell it (he spelled it wuz) even though I know he can read it easily.
    Anonymous