Sensory Processing Disorder

Just learned that our stepdaughter has sensory processing disorder. Mom didn't tell us until now and we don't know when the diagnosis was made. We don't see her often as we live out of state. She is five years old. Any moms know about his first hand? Symptoms? Characteristics? Treatment?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Kids' Health

• I believe this is the disorder one of the kids I had in Sunday School had. She was 3 or 4 and couldn't handle loud noises or other overstimulation. She enjoyed playing with running water and looking at shiny things. She was very sweet but developmentally delayed in language and I'm not sure what else. I wish I could tell you more... (if I'm even on the right track)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• How old is she? My oldest has autism and I have run into several parents of kids with SPD at the OT's office for appointments. It can vary widely depending on what senses she is affected by (touch, hearing, etc.). The kids I know were obviously being seen by an occupational therapist and most had IEP's for school. Most of them also had to have certain types of clothes (ie only 100% cotton knit with no tags) and would only eat certain foods (only crunchy things, or only mushy things, thing affected by mouth feel).

Answer by missanc at 4:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2012