Do any of you moms have a hard time labeling your child as "my adopted child."

Although I do say it I still feel reluctant about doing so because I don't feel that this label is adequate. Austin is my only child and to me it doesn't matter if he is adopted. Should I discourage other people from discussing my sons adoptive status in front of him? Is it really anyones business? I'm I just being overly sensitive? Thanks for any answers you may have in this matter.

imtheluckyone

Asked by imtheluckyone at 1:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Adoption

• The adoption comes up in conversation sometimes, we don't hide it, but I've never referred to my children as my adopted children. My family does it though, and it really pisses me off. I was in the bathroom at my grandpa's house and I heard him say to my brother, "You know these girls are your adopted neices, right?" The girls were only a few months old, so they didn't know at least. And I had to really watch my mom because because she would always introduce them as the "babies my daughter adopted" even to people she didn't know!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 1:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I dont think it's anyones business, he may be adopted but he's YOUR son now, I would leave out the adopted part. I don't think I would want to talk about it in front of him, might make him feel out of place or bad because he's adopted.
    samantha_dawn

Answer by samantha_dawn at 1:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If i was adopted i wouldnt want my parents to use that phrase either. Some kids dont know they are adopted until they are older. When people adopt kids they become their children.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Thank you all for responding and thank you mommyaddie. You have the perfect perspective. The one that counts. I do not wish for Austin to feel different because he is adopted. I LOVE HIM more than I love myself. That's why I asked the question so that I could make sure I used the correct words or not say anything at all when the situation does arise. And it does seem to come up, alot. I will no longer use that phrase! Thanks so much
    imtheluckyone

Answer by imtheluckyone at 1:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2009