Breastfeeding

my son will be 3 weeks old tomorrow, and i think the milk on my right side has dried up or is close to being dried up.my right breast has gone down in size in the past week while my left brerast that is very full and hard has gotten bigger. at the moment when i squeeze my left boob it feels like it has a hard mass in it and it hurts, feel a little different from when it would just fill up when my milk was coming in. my right 1 feels squishy, i mean just like a normal boob does but there is some pain to it. i know my left side is prdocing a good supply od milk cuz baby gets full and fallas asleep shortly after eating. i have tried only feeding from my right side hoping it would make my supply come back in but it has not worked. my first question is does this sound like my milk has dried up in my right breast? next question if my milk has dried up should i put him on formula? and my last question is about the pain and masses in my breast, is that normal?

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Curious- have you joined the Breastfeeding group?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• The best thing to do is: at one feeding, start baby on right breast, when he's done put him on left breast until he's done. At the next feeding start baby on left breast until he's done then put him on right breast. Keep alternating like this and I bet the supply will even out.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:41 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• lud-vik thats what ive been doin for almost 3 weeks
    mamasmurf171

Comment by mamasmurf171 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I'm no expert, just someone who has also breastfed her child...I think feralxat has good advice...I'd visit one of the breastfeeding groups, maybe someone there knows whether it's possible to lose supply on one side and not the other, I just don't know.
    Here's a bump for you :)
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:57 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I've never heard that, how terrible! Try calling the La Leche League, they offer free advice! I'd keep feeding/pumping on the soft side often, UNLESS they both have milk and the hard side is infected? Hard to say!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:39 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• I know you dropped by Breastfeeding moms. Pretty much everything there is 100% normal. The masses may be clogs... nursing that side, massage and pointing baby's chin toward the clog all work to remove it. Same with a shower.

We are not symmetrical beings and our breasts will look and perform differently just as our right and left hands will differ. Not to worry. Does NOT mean loss of anything... except a certain aesthetic quality!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 AM on Jun. 29, 2012