What did you do with your child's bedroom when they went away to college?

My child is off to college soon and Im trying to figure the bedroom situation out. We have a 4 bedroom home and 3 kids, each child has his/her own room. When my oldest moves out that will leave the largest bedroom with direct access to the bathroom empty. My youngest will be in 6th grade and would LOVE to move into that room. My youngest is a girl and I think having a bathroom right off her bedroom would be wonderful. My middle child is a boy and does NOT want to change rooms, he has worked hard getting his room just perfect.

Soooo.... would it be rude to move the youngest into the empty room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

• I won't do a thing... since technically they still LIVE there... home for holidays and between semesters, all summer. Just b/c they are at college doesn't mean they have moved out ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• My room was barely cold when my parents turned it into a 'guest bedroom'. My brother was barely out of the house when they turned his into a 'office'.

I admit, as I was coming home for breaks, my feelings were a bit hurt. I would suggest talking to your college bound child to see how they feel about it. They might not mind being switched around, but then again, they might!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• My kids aren't that old yet, but my parents left my bedroom exactly as it was for at least 10 years after I graduated from college. After we started, it was comforting to come home to my bedroom on fall break, thanksgiving, christmas, and all summer. Will your oldest be coming home on breaks? Where will he/she sleep if you move his/her room? My parents also left our room in case we needed to come home for a year or two after we graduated but before we got on our feet. My sis moved back home for a year, but the rest of us moved straight into an apartment. But our rooms being there was a safety net for us and I was glad to have it.
    I won't be changing any of my kids rooms around (I have 5) until after they have graduated from college and have a stable job and first home/apartment.
    Rude? No, just not something I would do.

Answer by missanc at 4:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• layh41407 that was my concern... however, I hate to see the youngest in the smallest room of the house and the largest just sit empty. She will be having sleepovers, homework, etc in a small room and a large room sits across the hall vacant.

I was thinking we could have the kids do it together and make the oldest's new room just the way she wants it prior to her leaving. And then she has ownership of the decor when she comes home for the holidays.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Honestly, I would have understood if my room was being changed for that reason and if I had a place to call 'mine' when I came back, but I had no say in any of the decorations. I honestly felt like a guest.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• We left their rooms as is until they graduated college and had their own place, but your solution sounds reasonable. Talk it over with both girls.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:10 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Did not do anything when my son and daughter left for college. Left it as was, when they were home on breaks, xmas, thanksgiving, etc. or during the summer they had a room to come home to and it was awesome to have them feel they had their own room again and I loved it. They may leave for college and dorm but believe me when they decide to come home, even for a weekend, they need to feel love and share the same life as when they left for college to begin their new life. It takes time.
    missinghim31412

Answer by missinghim31412 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2012

• The day I moved out my bedroom turned into an office. Though I didn't go to college, I had a steady job and just moved into an apartment.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2012

• We have 3 kids and 4 bedrooms, when they went to university we left the rooms as they were but when one got married we turned her room into a room for me to do my painting in.
    candbtea

Answer by candbtea at 1:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2012

• Oh my, there is just too much over-thinking going on about this. It is a bedroom, she is not being removed from the family. Economically, how much sense does it make to have a large room unoccupied. Especially if your son is happy with his "space". It isn't like you are going to make your daughter sleep in the garage when she comes home. And when she comes home, she won't spend her vacation locked away in her old room anyway. When my step-daughter would come home for break, she would make a mess at our house and her mother's house and would spend the bulk of her time with friends, she'd come home to do her hair and switch out clothes in her duffle. Everything will be just fine, get your 6th grader prepared to be excited about her new room and new schoolyear :)
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 11:21 AM on Aug. 12, 2012