HELP i have a 5yr old and she is ...

doing some odd and well very scary things i have the next appointment with the counclor. i am just wondering if anyone elts has gone thur this too? ok she has started hurting herself when ever she gets in trouble she dosn't want to help or do anything that me or her dad ask her to do. she and her (3yr) bro got into a fight the other day and he ended up being stabed in the shoulder with a pen she then went into the other room and stabed herself with the pen, she told us one night that she wanted us to shot her this all happens after we have told her that she needs to do something we are not asking a lot out of her just to put her clothes away or pick up the toys that she is playing with things like that we do have a new baby she is almost 3 mo. old so i don't know if this has to do with this or not i would like to know if i am the only person who has this proublem i am just worried ! please any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• wow im sorry, i think counciling is the best thing to do
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Try spending one on one with her and see how that may works. Make her your center of attention
    for maybe five or ten minutes a day and see if that even works over time.
    Tcline835

Answer by Tcline835 at 2:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• redirecting her when she does it .
    Tcline835

Answer by Tcline835 at 2:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• You need to take her to a child Psychiatrist not a counselor or therapist. I would also have her tested for food sensitivities. If she is capable of stabbing herself with a pin, what is stopping her from using a knife next time?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I would take her to a counselor and spend more one on one time with her.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:31 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Therapy, and Psychiatrist, Food allergies. Honestly everything and anything you can think of including the 1:1 time and direct teaching about why they are rules, why you need to enforce them, and diff. ways to deal with anger/frustration etc.
    Good luck, my "prayers" and good wishes go to you and your family.
    And yes, be careful esp. do NOT leave her alone with her younger siblings
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Sounds top me like she's acting out because of the new baby. I would try to just give her more one on one time, like the other mom's have already said, and see if that helps before you do anything drastic.
    DayDaysmom19

Answer by DayDaysmom19 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Wow! this sounds serious! I would ask a professional honestly because this sounds like maybe she could have had something serious happen to her or maybe not but this is so not norm. behavior.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 4:51 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My first thought was bi-polar. But I think she may be too young. I'm always baffled by these things, my kids never did anything like. None of them acted out because of me having another baby. (I only have 3) My middle son is ADHD, and was diagnosed at 3. 3 is young, but it was painfully obvious. I would definatly consider what everyone else has said. Hope things get better soon.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 7:32 PM on Feb. 1, 2009