Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How can I transfer my section 8 from CT to California?

Answer Question

Asked by babygirl33675 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • As far as I know, you can't. You will have to re apply when you get there. You can call CA to find out for sure.

    Answer by kmath at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

  • I am pretty sure that doesn't transfer because there are waiting list and limited space.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

  • May I ask why you are moving? It is a state thing, and you would have to re-apply once you got there,, section 8 is VERY limited in CA, I would not suggest picking up and leaving without having the money to rent for awhile.

    Answer by kimigogo at 8:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

  • Different states have different rules. But I believe that most have a residency requirement. Some states it's 30 days, some it's 90 and some maybe more.

    Answer by layh41407 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

  • Actually HUD vouchers are transferable as it is a federal not a state program. You have to request a the transfer and the location you wish to move to has to agree to accept you based on funding and/or your region can continue to cover your voucher until the new region takes you on.

    This is called "portability."

    Answer by macbudsmom at 8:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

  • What is the purpose for your move? Will you have a better chance of becoming self-sufficient if you move? I don't agree with people staying on Section 8 for a lifetime. (Unless severely disabled.)

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

  • Portability. Speak to your caseworker.

    Answer by booklover545 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.