How can I transfer my section 8 from CT to California?

babygirl33675

Asked by babygirl33675 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Home & Garden

• As far as I know, you can't. You will have to re apply when you get there. You can call CA to find out for sure.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I am pretty sure that doesn't transfer because there are waiting list and limited space.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• May I ask why you are moving? It is a state thing, and you would have to re-apply once you got there,, section 8 is VERY limited in CA, I would not suggest picking up and leaving without having the money to rent for awhile.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:27 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Different states have different rules. But I believe that most have a residency requirement. Some states it's 30 days, some it's 90 and some maybe more.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• Actually HUD vouchers are transferable as it is a federal not a state program. You have to request a the transfer and the location you wish to move to has to agree to accept you based on funding and/or your region can continue to cover your voucher until the new region takes you on.

This is called "portability."
    macbudsmom

Answer by macbudsmom at 8:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• What is the purpose for your move? Will you have a better chance of becoming self-sufficient if you move? I don't agree with people staying on Section 8 for a lifetime. (Unless severely disabled.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• Portability. Speak to your caseworker.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:51 PM on Jul. 1, 2012