So now what happens with the Eric Holder contempt vote?

I haven't been following what happens from here. I read in one source that it was voted as criminal contempt, but in another source it says civil contempt. What happens in either case and does this allow Congress to force them to turn over the documents that were requested?

*sorry for lack of info.  I've been on and off the computer all day checking up on things and haven't had much time to read and look for sources.  

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 9:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not just Holder who is hiding something. The president and his executive privilege is hiding something. Two reasons why a president cites executive privilege - national security or cover-up. Sometime in the future those documents will be read and that info made known. It's just a matter of time. AG Holder probably will get a slap on the wrist like several years from now.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:18 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• The criminal contempt charge refers the dispute to a U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, who was appointed by Obama and who serves under Holder, meaning he's not likely to seek action. Which IMO sucks ass, but the civil contempt charge authorizes the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee to sue the Justice Department to try force Holder to turn over more documents, an effort that could get tied up in court for years. I do not understand why Holder won't turn over the paperwork the committee required, which leads me to believe there is something there Holder doesn't want public.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 28, 2012

• I don't know what will happen, but I do know that the House voted to hold him in contempt both criminally and civilly.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:53 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• but I do know that the House voted to hold him in contempt both criminally and civilly. Answer by 29again

Thanks.  I finally saw that last night late too.  Of the two sources I read, one mentioned the criminal contempt and the other mentioned the civil contempt.  Or I wasn't paying attention.  I looked a second time but will freely admit that I am a bit scattered the last few days. 

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• so sick of this constant drama
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 29, 2012