Can you become addicted to being depressed?

I have suffered from depression most of my life and just realized I am prone to be depressed but more importantly I sabotage my self to make me depressed.
Can you be addicted to depression?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Health

• I believe that people can become addicted to almost anything. Once something is done often enough, it becomes familiar, and what we know feels normal and safe. It may be a habit for you with your actions, but it could potentially be a chemical imbalance. I would see a psychotherapist if I were you, just so there would be a safe environment to talk it all out. There are several who work on a sliding scale if you can't normally afford one. Praying also does wonders for me. You might be surprised how well that can work.
    goldenruler

Answer by goldenruler at 5:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• YES! I have been dealing with depression off and on for most of my life. It is easier to be depressed then step outside of your comfort zone and do what you need to do. I challenge you to do something to fight that feeling and work towards leading a happier lifestyle. Do one thing everyday that brings a tiny bit of fun to your life. (Paint your toenails. Take the dog for a walk) Whatever. Put someone else over your feelings. Do something. Anything!
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009