Is it okay to drink soy milk while pregnnat?

I just started drinking soy milk and I'm 17 weeks pregnant. i'm doing it so i can get the benefits of all the vitamins and calcium. I can't drink regular milk or lactose free milk because they both get me sick and prenatals get me just as sick as well. I take other things with calcium but I'm just concerned on the soy milk issue because I don't want to take anything that will harm my unborn baby. I don't see a doctor for another couple weeks and with my insurance I can;t afford just to make an appointment for a simple question so can someone please help. I can't find anything in the google searches either,

lady_in_red1988

Asked by lady_in_red1988 at 2:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Health

• yes its fine...

you should be able to CALL your drs office and ask a question though.
    you can also use other ways to get the vitamins and calcium that it brings to you.

i dont drink milk at ALL so throughout this whole pregnancy i ate a lot of cheese, yogurts things like that ...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i cant see why not
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• As far as anything I've read, it's just fine... better than no milk at all.
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 4:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• of course you can drink soy milk... btw... prenatals made me so sick that i ended up in the ER at 13 weeks pregnant. eat veggies and fruits and youre good to go :)

good luck :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• What soy milk issue? There is no soy milk issue that I know of unless it's something that hit the news overnight and I missed it while I slept.

As for having a question...just call them. You shouldn't need an appointment just to ask a question, and if you do...time to find another doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• The soy milk issue is this- soy mimics female hormones and so can have an effect on fetus and/or young children- effect their development. Also- soy is rarely organic and is often contaminated with toxins.
    Try rice, almond or best bet of all- HEMP milk- balanced source of omegas, full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Protein, calcium, etc. I can find it in my local grocery right next to all of the alternative milks.
    Another option is GOAT'S milk. It is basically lactose free and very easy to digest. We supplemented our breast feeding with goat's milk when I couldn't pump enough. Very good for you and baby.
    Soy milk isn't. The positive benefits of using soy are from eating small amounts only- most people eat too much.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 8:06 PM on Feb. 1, 2009