i have 2 cats...

well, like it says i have tw cats... and they are about 10 yr old... and i have a new born with a almost 3yr old... and on most of my son things.. there will be cat hair... it is every where... on his bottles.... his blankets.... cloth ect... i dont know what i should doo..... should i get rid of them...? ahhh bc i know thats not good for my son... but my cats are just soo old if i take them somethere they will be put down bc they are jsut too old.... HELP ME PLZ

Dayna-Marie

Asked by Dayna-Marie at 2:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my son was born we had 3 cats and a border collie that sheds like crazy in a tiny 2 bedroom apartment. Just put the baby bottles away after you clean them, put the caps on the nipples, or even just rinse them off a little before you give them to the baby. Don't get rid of the cats, they're part of the family. Cat hair won't make him sick unless he's allergic to them. Just get some of the lint rollers from the dollar store and use them on his clothes and blankets. You could even get a brush for cats at Walmart, it has metal bristles on it to get all the shedding hair in the undercoat. If you brush the cats once a week it should cut down a lot on all the hair.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• omg i could never get rid of my cats! lol as you can see my favorite cat is my main pic ;] i have 3 cats and they dont get cat hair everywhere but they are indoor outdoor cats. im sorry i dont have a solution for you, you need to do whats best for your children, even if it hurts :[ maybe make them outdoor cats? i could never in my life give up my cats but im only saying that because i havent been faced with the choice
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:54 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• you just answered your question yourself with this:

"there will be cat hair... it is every where... on his bottles.... his blankets.... cloth ect"

thats freaking disgusting!!! get rid of them cats or let your baby get sick! your choice and your baby should me more important. give them cats to someone else until your kids are old enough to not put everythng in their mouth where cat hair could be on it.

eeewww.. sorry but im really disgusted right now. cat hair on baby bottles. i cant believe u actually asked for help.. you should know the answer!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I can understand you feeling torn. I think the deciding factor would be figuring out how much time you are truly able to devote to keeping things clean. It can take a LOT of time to stay on top of all the cat hair that can accumulate. And having a three year old and a newborn to take care of can be enough of a handful on it's own!

You could post an ad on craigs list and see if anyone is willing to give them a good home. I always recommend that people post with a $5 or $10 "re-homing" fee, as there are people who will take free cats just to torture them. Sad - but true.

You could also consider keeping the cats in a seperate part of the house (if your house is big enough) and not letting them in the kitchen or areas where your baby plays/eats. That can be a lot of work, though.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 4:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well, what did you do when the three year old was a baby? Do the same thing now. I'm not sure I understand, really.

Comb/brush the cats to help keep the hair down to a minimum.

I'm not sure how hair is getting on the bottles....the bottles should be kept up on a table where the cats aren't allowed..and yes, cats can be trained.

If you want to get rid of them, do so. But I don't understand why it's an issue now and it wasn't three years ago...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• How about getting the cats shaved closely and keeping them that way. If they are inside cats, should not be a roblem
    tsjjpmds

Answer by tsjjpmds at 8:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• As long as no one is allergic, keep them they are family members. I would get a case of the sticky lint removers from a bulk store, and keep one in every room. Look into this product

http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-deShedding-Tool-4-Inch-Edge/dp/B000PU31MY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1233496092&sr=1-2

If you groom them frequently they will shed less.
    moontree

Answer by moontree at 8:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree with moontree. Groom them, rinse bottles out before making them up. Trust me........your baby is going to be exposed to a whole lot of things alot worse then cat hair before its all said and done. Think of it like this. You hold your baby and sit down on your furniture, do you know all the germs, bacteria, fungus, crude gets pushed up into the air when you sit down on your couch? If you have carpet and ever cleaned it, it has mold spores which can kill you that float around everytime you take a step. A little cat hair is NOTHING as long as there is no allergy.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Actually, there is scientific proof that exposure to more than one animal/pet during infancy helps to prevent asthma and allergies later on. Also- check out the Hot List under Parenting- I submitted an article about dirt and babies and health- from the NYTimes- very enlightening....
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• HAHAHAHA shave the cats just saw that- friggin' HILARIOUS.......
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:56 PM on Feb. 1, 2009