Flea market treasure?

Here's the situation. I went to a flea market today and purchased a very lovely necklace for a dollar. It was all tangled up with a few other pieces. I was going to take it apart and use the charms to make other pieces. Anyway, when I get it home and untangle it, I discovered it was actually very beautiful and decided to just keep it as is. There was a signature on the clasp so I looked up the designer on the internet. I found a picture of my necklace, and it turns out, it could be worth a lot of money. My question is, Should I go back and tell the lady what she had, so she can go through the rest of her stuff and not miss out on what could be a lot of money? Or do I just go back look for more stuff and keep my mouth shut?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 3:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's your decision, but I would tell her.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 3:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• That's a tough one. If it was my stuff I would want someone to let me know it could be valuable. On the other hand, it could be seen as her loss since she didn't bother to research it herself. I'd like to think I would let her know.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• wow thats tough. if it were me i would tell her but i could see the appeal of the other side too!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I know, right? She had a huge table full of jewelry all tangled up. You literally had to untangle everything. Most of it looked like cheap costume jewelry and plastic beads. The problem is, is that the flea market ends tomorrow and it's an hour away from my house.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• You pose an interesting qstn. It would be a kind gesture if you went to tell this person she might perhaps have some goodies worth a few bucks. I go to flea markets and there are quite a diverse group of vendors. There are those who think their wares are worth a lot, and they aren't. There are some who sell who simply have a passion for whatever it is they are selling. And then there are those who miss a chance at finally making a buck because they have no idea the true value of what they have. Sounds like you found someone in the last category.
    If your conscience tells you to inform her, then you probably should. But I wouldn't say the average person would take the time to do this. I personally would consider revisiting her shop to see what else she had and maybe pointing out its value to her. She might already know and just really doesn't care.
    CynthiaS102

Answer by CynthiaS102 at 3:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• haha i would keep my mouth shut!! but thats me! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• wow an hour away.... i hate driving so i probably wouldnt want to take the time to drive an hour there just to tell her and then an hour back, unless you're planning on shopping anyway.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• CynthiaS102, You have a good point. If she had a shop I definitely would go back, but it was just a stall at the flea market. It looked as though she had bought someone else's stuff and just threw it in a box. There was children's play jewelry and mardi gras beads and other costume jewelry all jumbled together. It was a huge mess. They have this Flea market every couple of weeks, so if I see her next time I probably will say something.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• wow, that is a really tough one. If you watch Antiques Road Show on tv, it might be more of a local Pittsburgh area show, not sure....but MANY of those people found their things at flea markets and garage sales. And some of those things are worth thousands of dollars. They don't go back to tell anyone. I would probably just keep the necklace because God only knows what else she already sold that was worth WAY more than the necklace...
    What you could do, is get it appraised, sell it, then go back and give her half the money. :)
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 5:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• she should have been a little more aware of what she was selling. I go to estate auctions all the time. Once we bought a jewelry box w/ lots of pieces of costume jewelry in it. When we got it home one of the pieces was worth $200. But, then again my mil bought a necklace that appeared to be worth a lot of money and it wasn't. by the way, I would have taken the money to the pizza place in response to one of the previous questions. I just feel that if someone is going to sell something then they should know what the value is.....I also once bought a longaberger basket at a garage sale for a quarter.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 12:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009