"Troll questions" could be legit? my thoughts...

A lot of the time we just assume or HOPE that these are troll questions because they are so 'out there' or offensive but what if they really are legit questions asked by scared teens or husbands or whatever. MY thoughts are that it is probably VERY easy to google a question about "Can I be pregnant if..." and it brings you directly to Answers on Cafemom... sure they have to create an account to actually post the questions but we all know how easy that is right?
I usually don't answer any questions that many others assume are troll questions but just reading the "14yo and might be pregnant" question made me think that we are giving too much credit to the trolls :P

Thoughts?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 11:25 AM on Jun. 29, 2012 in About CafeMom

• I don't know I try to answer every question as if it is real just in case. But the pregnancy ones I just say go to the doctor.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2012

• If it is a teen that is pregnant, she needs more guidance than this site could ever hope to offer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2012

• when i first signed up
    i asked questions about very personal issues
    i was called troll
    everyone jumped on the troll band wagon
    i deleted question
    asked again- this time said right off the bat- i am not a troll... and asked question again

only when i said this is a real question did the troll screaming stop (a few still yelled troll at me) but i was able to get most moms that answered take my issue serious

------
    the brand new accounts that bring up hot topic and also bring up slang terms only used on here, and some even call out a few regular members and their "repuation" - well then i can assume a member with a 2nd account
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:47 PM on Jun. 29, 2012

• Sometimes there are questions that I do wonder if they are really being serious and I feel bad that people are giving them crap about it. I generally try to not be that way-but it does happen at times-when I feel like it truly IS troll-ish
    otherwise I just try to give a decent answer
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2012

• :( hard to say. the obvious ones are long drawn out bad spelling am i pregnant and whats wrong with foodstamps
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:04 PM on Jun. 29, 2012

• when someone responds to your question you get a red square with a white number (look at my other stuff) to tell you there is activity on your post.

as for telling when someone joined- click on their name, that'll take you to their transcript.
    under their name it says "see cafemom profile".
    go to their profile and look in the lower right corner.
    that is where the chatterbox is- unless they have modified their profile page.
    whenever we say i.e.
    "Cafe Robin wrote at 8:35 AM on Jun. 29 , 2012"
    we are looking directly at the automated message all new accounts receive.

you then compare the automated message to the posting time of the question- and that is how you tell if it's a new account.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 12:53 PM on Jun. 29, 2012

• Everyone's screen get a red count in the upper right hand corner. It's pretty hard to miss.

WHERE IS THIS? HOW DO YOU TELL WHEN SOMEONE JOINS CM?

thanks.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:34 PM on Jun. 29, 2012

• I agree with feral if they interact and don't post outlandish crap or questions meant to rile people up I am more willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If you post anon, well 70% of the time you are going to get answers you don't like.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:50 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• I've asked a couple anonymous questions that have been accused of being trollish.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:46 AM on Jun. 29, 2012

• How difficult is it to respond?
    Everyone's screen get a red count in the upper right hand corner. It's pretty hard to miss.

Think about the first question on Your transcript. You responded within 15 mins. The same for me- on my second question, I responded within 10 mins.

I am less likely to cry foul when they interact- even IF they started the account a minute prior. We are also talking about empty profiles and extremely provocative questions.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2012