Who is just LOVING the GOP Senators right now?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28949195/

NEW YORK - Most Republican governors have broken with their GOP colleagues in Congress and are pushing for passage of President Barack Obama's economic aid plan that would send billions to states for education, public works and health care.

**** So.....looks like when you are actually accountable for the state's coffers, the stimulus is looking pretty good.

Traditionally the House and Senate may split on a bill....but this just made me smile.

Anyone else for a smile?

Wimsey

Asked by Wimsey at 7:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ""Actually, I'm still fawning over the House Republicans that stood their ground. Hopefully, the Republican Senators will do the same.

THE GOP R-U-L-E-S!!!!! ""

Good for you!...All I see is a bunch of people wanting this country to totally deep-six. If Obama fails...we all fail, one way or another! The problem in this country is not who sits at the helm..it is the ideology. You can get rid of the man, you can even kill him, i.e. Saddam Hussein..but the ideology is still there....then what? We have had 8 years of GOP Leadership...if they are so great and so concerned with the citizenry of this country...WHY in the H*ll are we in the mess we are today? And no you cannot blame Prez Obama...he hasn't been in office long enough to even make the slightest difference...and if my gut instincts serve me well as they mostly have, he won't be allowed to make a difference. Bush may be gone..but will be same sh*t, different day!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 8:36 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Blaming the Governors is a ridiculous example.

Of course, Governors of states that have overspent, want the whole country to subsidize their bad planning over the years, whether they are Republican or Democrat!

Why should the people in a state that successfully balanced their budget or have a surplus subsidize California (and other states in the same financial mess) who has a history of passing every spending program regardless of whether or not they can pay for it?!

Your example is kind of like telling people who pay their mortgages that we are wrong to be against the mortgage bailouts, because the idiots that are in foreclosure (due to ARM, no deposit, and interest only loans) are for it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• States also need to balance their budgets and get rid of pork spending. They are no different then the federal government. I happen to live in a state that is in the black and feel the same as LoriKeet. Why should we fork over money, go in the red, to help a state such as California, that can't or won't budget and cut spending. If one really looked they probably fund stuff that should have been cut a long long time ago. The folks out there need to stand up and speak out against all of that. Let them call Nancy Pelosi. She can help.
    I would love to see the stimulus bill be shot down until it only includes money for ifrastructure, schools, health care. Thats it.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Agree ladies......Cali is a joke.I feel bad for those there who have been watching their once great state go to hell in a hand basket.My FIL lived there while in the service (so cal) and he could tell you how bad it has became.To many people just do not seem to care.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• The governors are on board because most state constitutions make it illegal to run the state at a deficit. If they've run their state into the ground this is a quick fix to keep their jobs. It's a stipulation we should have in the federal constitution, then maybe they'd think twice before borrowing $1,100,000,000,000.00 from China.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• LoriKeet there is just no need to attack OP.

Why can't we just answer the question without attacking the poster?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• How in the world was lorikeet attacking...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Actually, I'm still fawning over the House Republicans that stood their ground. Hopefully, the Republican Senators will do the same.

THE GOP R-U-L-E-S!!!!!
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 12:08 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Actually, if your question was truly about SENATORS, I'd say yes. Your heading does not match your body.

And the governors are just looking out for their states--if the idiots in Washington spread the pork around, you'd better be darned sure I want my Republican governor to get a piece of the pie so that I only have to partially subsidize stupid decisions made in California or elsewhere.

But should the stimulus not be passed, then governors of all parties need to tighten up their budgets and in the long run that will be a good thing for ALL taxpayers!
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 12:39 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• GOP will not R-U-L-E in 2 years during the midterm if they continue to be Obstructionists..
    Anonymous