Is it a stomach bug or reaction to new medicine? What do I do?

My 3.5 year old DD had a runny nose and dry cough all day yesterday so I tried out Hyland's Cough and Cold for the first time on her before bed last night. I was up several times last night with DS BFing him and heard her coughing. Then she woke up this morning at 5:30 and she threw up, a lot. DH thinks it's from giving her new (herbal) medicine, I think if it were from the medicine that she would have gotten sick sooner than this morning. She is sleeping right now so I can't ask her how she feels, but she has been having loose stools for a couple of days - not full blown diarrhea though. If it's a stomach bug, what do I do? This is our first time dealing with an upset tummy.

pixiemom78

Asked by pixiemom78 at 7:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't give her ANYTHING for at least one hour. (2 is better) Then give her WATER...just a couple of ounces. Wait for 10minutes. If that stays down, give a couple more and wait for 10 more minutes. Repeat this for about an hour. If that all stays down, then give her more water...but make sure she drinks slowly. Once she has gone for 6 hours without puking, give her some crackers or bread...bland only. Slowly build up her food again....

To help with the loose stools, stick to starches and carbs. Pastas, bananas, breads, crackers...and steer clear of fruits and vegetables for now...don't give her anything that will make her poop basically. lol

Don't give her any juice, gatorade or pedialyte until she's cleared up...puking and loose stools. Those have sugar which will make it all worse.

If she was having loose stools for a couple of days before you gave her some herbal stuff...I'm guessing it's a stomach bug...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• take her to the pediatrician. if it really is a stomach bug she might need some specific medicine.

im not a fan of medicine at all and i usually give my DD herbal medicine too. but sometimes they need specific medicine.

make sure she doesnt drink or eat anythng that too sweet, no greasy stuff, give her tea (without caffeeine of course!) and not too much fruits and veggies. some fruits (like apples or oranges) have too much fruit acid which will upset the stomach even more.

the ped should be able to help you out more though.

good luck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Does she have any fever?
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 7:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• IMO, I dont think her throwing up is related to the medicine being that she was having viral symptoms prior. Keep her hydrated!!! Broths, Jello, Water are good liquids to feed to keep her hydrated and if she does have a stomach bug, these foods will be easier for her to throw up (less discomfort to her) Also, No more medicine unless it's at bed time to give her some sort of relief. Medicine supresses colds. It doesn't treat it. Let it run it's course and not mask symptoms that may be important. I'd call the Dr. for some tips and just to give them a heads up. They may tell you to bring her in should her symptoms worsen or persist. I really hope she feels better soon. I have 5 kiddos and when one gets sick, they ALL get sick. I know how you feel.. x 5!!!!!!! Best wishes;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I would let your pediatrician know about it, though...just in case it might have been the herbal stuff he told you to give her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• No, she doesn't have a fever. She just got up and seems to be fine... we are sticking to water and toast for breakfast.

I gave her the Hyland's cold meds at bedtime (7pm) last night so she could sleep better with her stuffy nose. It wasn't prescribed by a dr.
    pixiemom78

Answer by pixiemom78 at 8:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree, if there was an interaction it is usually within the first 1/2 hour or so. I would call the pediatrician - they have on call dr.s They will say to do the brat diet - bananas, rice, applesauce or toast ? I think that is it - anyway mild foods, try oyster crackers or saltines and gingerale or taost.

Lots of rest. popcicles / pedialite pops too
    moontree

Answer by moontree at 8:41 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• This bug is going around our area. Watch for full blown diarrhea after the vomit is done. It lasted 6 full days with our son but his nausea went away and he did drink fluids so we never went to the doc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:55 PM on Feb. 1, 2009