How do you know if you have post-partum depression?

I think I have it, but I don't want to bring it up to my doctor, bc I'm ashamed of the things that go through my head. If I tell my doctor, will they make me tell them the things that cross my mind? I don't purposely think them, but it drives me insane.

How do you know if you have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Do tell your doctor. Especially if the things going through your head involve violence of any sort. I know that you probably would never EVER do anything to harm your family or your baby. BUT these kinds of thoughts will help your doctor decide IF you need a medication, what KIND to give you. Please be honest with your doctor and tell them how it effects you and your daily functions. (For example, I don't want to hold my baby. Or, I don't want to take a shower, it is to hard.) Those are concrete ideas to give your doctor of how it ieffects your life. GO GET HELP. These doctors have seen a lot of PPD and know how to treat it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• This is the perfect question because I feel the exact same way! Ashamed to mention it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i was suffering from PPD really bad. and YES,,, you NEED TO tell your doctor everything. otherweise they wont be able to help you.

only with knowing whats going on with you (ESPECIALLY your thoughts) they are able to find the right medicine and or other kind of help.

i refused to take any kind of medicine, because they only solve the cause of the actual problem and not the problem itself. means: they make you happy, but only as long as you take the medicine and then you feel like shit again.

PPD is something serious. and only "thinking" to have it wont help you at all. you need to figure out if you are really suffering from it. and thats why you have to tell your doctor everything.

i wish you good luck
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well, it sounds to me like you have it, from the things your thinking. I had it with my daughter, I just wan't "happy" with things. I just wanted it to be back to my husband and I. I told my doctor how I felt, and he put me on some medication, and I felt fine afterwards! I was happy about my daughter. I think it truly is a blessing how doctors can help us moms through this difficult time in our lives. Now that I am pregnant again, they will be starting me on meds befor I deliver my baby, so when my hormone levels just drastically drop, I will still feel the same! I really urge you to talk to your doctor about the way you feel. Their is NO reason to feel ashamed, they are completely undertstanding about post partum depression these days. Then you can get the help you need to feel better! Good Luck, I hope this had helped you!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:20 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• sounds like PPD to me. I suffered from it too. Its more common than you think. Its hard to adjust to being completely responsible for another beings life. I would definately let your doctor know that you think you are suffering from PPD, you will feel so much better once you are treated for it.
    beck_9808

Answer by beck_9808 at 8:25 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• please tell your doctor. Dont be ashamed. You are experiencing something that many woman experience so you are not alone. Going to the doctor will be the first step to helping you through this tough time period. The thoughts you are having are something that cannot be controlled without help.
    lawstudentmommy

Answer by lawstudentmommy at 10:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• How long does it last? Should I still be going through this a month after I had my baby? When they gave me the PPD quiz at my 1 wk check up, I lied and told them I just had a high anxiety level (which I do).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• PPD can go on for a long time. Sometimes symptoms don't show up for months. If you are ashamed to bring it up to your doctor, then you definitely should. You can also look into herbal treatments and see if that helps. Are you getting fresh air every day? Exercise and fresh air really do help.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2009