• In the Spotlight:

If I have a fever can it get to my baby?

Im going on day 4 of a fever and I was around my baby at night the first few days of it because there was no one else to take care of her. Today however my temp got all the way up to 104.4 so I havent been around her all day. :( Can my fever spread to her though? She seems ok...my fever still hasnt gone away yet so should I still try to stay away from her? (Shes only 4weeks old)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off why do you have such a raging fever? YOU need to see a doctor. IF you have something contagious then yes it can spread to your infant. Get yourself to a doctor.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It all depends on why you have the fever. Fevers themselves are not contagious- WHY you have the fever is what makes them contagious. You need to go to the doctor that is a really high fever! You are really fighting something and you need to take care of yourself properly in order to take care of your child. And if it is something contagious you don't want to get her sick because her little body may not be able to handle it as well as yours- which your body is REALLY fighting something.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• If you just had a baby 4 weeks ago, it is possible that your fever is a result of an infection. You need to see a doctor!!! ASAP!!! Good Luck.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Fevers are not a contageous illness, they are a symptom of an illness. Your body raises it's temperature in order to attempt to kill off an invader (infection). It is possible that the virus or bacteria causing your fever could infect your child and give them a fever or any other symptom of illness. Why not take some Tylenol to reduce your fever and then see a doctor? Make sure to keep your face away from your baby, wash your hands thoroughly after using the bathroom as well as after coughing. I hope you feel better.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:37 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree with teh PPs who have said you need to see the doc. It could most definitely be infection. Also, are you nursing? That is the best thing for your baby right now if you have something contagious. The milk will give her the needed antibodies to fight what you have.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 4:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2009