Tongue feels... raw, burned?

You know that feeling when you burn your taste buds from drinking too hot coffee or soup or something? That is what my tongue has felt like the last couple days and honestly the only thing I could think of that might've done it is the SUPER hot Hot-Wings from Domino's on Wed evening. I've never actually burned my tongue from spicy food though so wasn't sure if that's what it was (they weren't 'stove' hot at all but spicy hot). Its also been really hot here (like it is everywhere!) so we've had fans running pretty much day and night so I was thinking maybe it was from that as well? (my dh has been having a lot of sinus issues but its just too hot NOT to use the fans :( )
Anyways, what do you think it is? Have you ever 'burned' your taste buds from eating spicy foods?

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:16 AM on Jun. 30, 2012 in Food & Drink

• So many times.....

I'm from a border city and I can't tell you the number of times I've done this. Sometimes a glass of milk will help, other times a bit of sugar left on your tongue for a few minutes will. It sort of depends on the chile (in your case, cayenne, I'm sure)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:20 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Sugar huh? i might have to try that, i'm really not liking this feeling and it keeps coming back no matter what i try (water, milk, brushing my teeth, chewing gum, eating other foods, etc...)
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 12:24 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• It's because they are literally burned. You'll have to wait it out until they heal, unfortunately. The good thing is that they heal pretty fast.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 12:33 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• could be the wings, if you ate a bowl of salty food that migh to it to. Super cold can do it. Someing that is high in acid. Oh lots of things.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:56 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Sometimes eating a lot of sugary foods will make my tongue feel like that. I think you're from Colorado by your screen name--if you are, all the smoke in the air from the fires might be doing it. I'm north of Denver, and I've hardly been able to leave my house for two weeks because the smoke kicks off my migraines and my asthma.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• yes it could be the wings...but I also want to mention that when I used to eat chips (haven't touched them in more than 5 years), that would happen to me....salt or salt&vinegar would do it to me every time and within a couple of days I could peel a whole layer of skin off my tongue....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:15 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I think it's the wings. Some medications you take could affect your taste buds.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:11 AM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I have. I used to eat an entire bag of Ranch tortilla chips. My tongue would burn for days.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:10 PM on Jun. 30, 2012