When exactly did you give your child whole milk?

I know one year is when your supposed too.. do you give it him a week before a year- two weeks- a month- or did you wait and give it to him later

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started introducing it to her a couple of weeks before her 1st birthday.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• my DD got her first whole milk when she was like 13 months old. Didnt feel the need of it before that
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We gave it at 9 months per our pediatrician's recommendation. They were on all table foods and eating a varied, balanced diet so there was no longer a need for formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• From about 9 months on our daughter has had the odd ounce or two of cows milk with her dinner every few days/once or twice a week. It's never been a daily thing - if I feel a bit of milk would compliment her meal (as it would my own) - then I have gone ahead and given her some.

I would never rely on cows milk for her nutrition though - she is 16 months and still breastfed, and when she has self weaned her nutrition will be coming from her food, and her main liquid will be water.
    Any juices or cows milk she gets will still be only complimentary to lunches/dinners.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We switched our oldest to whole milk when he was 8 months old.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I started mine around 12 months, sometimes a week or two before to get them used to it.

Answer by gemgem at 9:53 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• The day all my kids turned one.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Do not just switch from formula to milk. Start mixing them together. 1/4 milk:3/4 formula for a week, 1/2:1/2 for a week, 3/4milk:1/4 formula. This helps the body adjust to the difference as well as the taste.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We started giving our kids cups of milk when they were like 6 or 7 months with just a couple ounces in them. They would also drink out of dh's cup of milk. They didn't have it every day. Then around 9/10 months they started eating regular cereal (like cherrios) for breakfast with a little bit of milk in it along with a cup of milk with dinner.
    By the time they turned 1 they were used to drinking milk and the transition was easy. When the formula ran out I stopped giving them bottles and they never noticed.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• DO NOT mix formula and milk unless the PEDI says so! GAWD!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2009