Another abortion question. Sorry!

Since the abortion issue is so wide, I thought I'd narrow the scope a little.

Do you believe that there should be a requirement for parental consent in order for minors to have an abortion?

beckcorc

Asked by beckcorc at 9:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely. I have two daughters and even though I would like to think theyd come to me for anything like this I know sometimes they wont. I wouldnt want my dd going through a medical procedure without my consent. If they are underage they should require parental consent for ANY medical procedure other then emergency. An abortion isnt an emergency so shouldnt fall into that category. Not to mention after the fact any long term emotional damage or counseling she might need I wouldnt know about. It violates a parents right not to be informed in my opinion and if it happens we will likely see some lawsuits as a result.

Answer by gemgem at 9:48 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Absolutely- I think alot of times minors do it to RUN from their problems, instead of facing them. They should have to face their parents and hear what they have to say.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• YES!! I realize after having teens that they can be so afraid of what mommy and daddy will think that they sometimes (a LOT of times) make choices based on that rather then looking at the bigger picture. I am not saying I would like my kids to have kids, but I would absolutely help them and love them through it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes they should get consent, sometimes having more than one abotion can ruin their chances of having children in the future. I also would want to know if my child is sexually active.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 9:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Yes, most certainly, absolutely and without a doubt. These are young girls and still babies some of them. They have no business being able to have an abortion whether you believe in it or not. They are not emotionally capable of making those decisions at 13, 14, 15 years old. Yes, I know young girls do have babies all the time. But, it is not a good idea and I feel kids should be kids and leave babies and marriage for when they grow up. Should be against the law to marry or have babies till both male and female are 21.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Foreverb3

OKAY- now you just opened up a whole can of worms saying that it should be agaisnt the law to marry or have babies until 21! That is NON of your business. I am 19 and married with a 10 month old and I LOVE MY LIFE and wouldn't want it to be any different. I was plenty old enough to make the decisions I made and love where my life has went and is going. How did abortion issue turn to people not being able to marry and have children until they are 21?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Im kind of on the fence about this one...I mean I agree that some girl do it to run from thier parents, and it is a medical procedure...but the answers you are getting are coming from loving and supportive parents...there are a lot of parents who WONT support a pregnant teen. Ive seen parents disown there daughter because of it. If they made it so the teen has to have consent they should aslo have something to protect the teen from cases lke that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• krazyash023~~~~I am entitled to my opinion just like you are entitled to yours. Now, maybe you don't agree with me and that is fine. You may be one who was ready for the changes marriage and children bring to your life. Not all people under the age of 21 are, especially males. They feel tied down, like they lost their youth and have not the emotional makeup to be husbands and dads. Girls also fall into the same kind of trap and think that they missed out on this party or that boy. Responsibility is not in many, many teens vocabulary. If it is in yours, well then good for you and good luck to you.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I completely agree with krazyash023!! That is the most rediculous this i have ever heard! Im 18 my husband is in the army and we have a 4 week old daughter. We are totally happy and wouldnt have it anyother way, but mistakes happen GET OVER IT!
    ArmyWifeNewMom

Answer by ArmyWifeNewMom at 10:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well if the parents are not supportive there are other options for the teen. They can get emancipated or go to social services and seek help from people trained to deal with that situation. Thats what they do now.
    As for waiting until someone is 21, psychologically speaking people do not grow up until then but plenty of people marry and have kids before that. I was one of them. My kids range from 3-19 yrs old and they are well adjusted people so far. Sure there are plenty of reasons why someone should wait, but theres nothing proving it they dont wait the kids will automatically he screwed up. Its a slippery slope and if they are allowed to serve in the armed forces, smoke and be on their own they can marry and have kids.

Answer by gemgem at 10:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009