Do other moms with older kids ever read through the questions and realize how easy we had it when our kids were little.....

and there weren't so many controversies about feeding and sleeping and EVERYTHING? My son is 15 and sometimes I see questions and answers about stuff and I think how can there be so many new rules to feeding babies? It used to be if the kids wasn't full from a bottle start cereal, if that wasn't enough start fruit and veggies, just not too many different ones at a time, not a schedule about when to start what color!

goaliemom93

Asked by goaliemom93 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL I have kids from 3-19 yrs old and things have changed alot since my first was born. I remember they actually advised she sleep on her stomach, and by the time I had her brothers that changed to their sides, and by the time I had 4 & 5 is was on their backs. Half the time I am not even sure the experts know whats right since things are forever changing and new studies show the old one was wrong etc. I just stick to the basics. I feed them, wait on solids a few months, introduce one food at a time, get their vaccinations and love them.

Answer by gemgem at 10:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Things have changed a lot. How about not eating deli meat? My SIL won't even eat chocolate. So, I yield to their up to date information and respect their choices. I realize my mother probably thought the same things about me.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 10:35 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My oldest is almost 12, and my niece is almost 20. Things changed so much in those 8 years it was amazing. We had this green grasshopper carseat for my niece that, in hindsight, was not very safe. My oldest's was so much more advanced, and the ones they make now you practically need an engineering degree to figure out!! not really, but you get my point. I also have an 18 mo and I treat him like I treated my older kids. I didn't always listen to exactly what the pedi said, but tried to stick pretty close. They were all on solids before they should have been. Otherwise I would have done nothing but feed them all day! I don't think I know more about parenting than other moms or doctors, but I know my kids better than they do!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids are 8 and 3, but I went old school with the rules. What do you know? They're just fine!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:39 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I have a twelve yr old and a seven yr old, and an eight month old, the only difference I see is now with my eight mont old there are so many more resources to go to. When my oldest was a baby it was in 1995 and I didn't have a computer or a cell phone so I just did the things my mom told me to do or I followed my insticts. Now there are so many places you can go to ask questions especially with the internet. That is the only difference I see.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 10:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids are still fairly young (8 1/2, 5 and 3 1/2), but I'm glad I wasn't on the internet until my youngest was about a year old to see everything I was doing "wrong" LOL! I did many things the way my mom did, changed up a few according to the ped's recommendations and then did a few things my way according to my kids' personalities and they seem just fine :-)

And the funny thing to me is that starting kids on foods too early is supposedly what's causing allergies nowadays, but I don't get that b/c my mom gave me my all of my papers from my check-ups and I was started on cereal at 6 WEEKS and by 2 months the paper says "keep her on cereal and start fruits and veggies". 2 months is about 8-9 WEEKS. And I think that was common practice then, but we had less allergies, right? lol

I do a lot of things the "old" way.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 10:49 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids are 24 and 6. What a difference! Im 43 and I dont even know how I survived. No car seat my parents smoked in the same room with us. We ate gravies and butter and fried food, seldom went to the doctors unless you were close to death lol...............My mom couldnt bf me, they didnt have formula back then......I was fed canned milk. Can you imagine doing that now? They would arrest you lol. Its so dang complicated now.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I agree with mistynights234. People are mortified about the things our parents did, and things those of us did who have kids that are 20+. Here are some of my favorites. Whiskey on a pacifier for teething. Kayro syrup in water for tummy aches. Diaper pins, table food and non-educational toys. I do have to say that I am happy thaty my great grandfather's sore throat remedy is frowned upon. Rag dipped in kerosene, then in sugar. Uuuughhhhhhh!!
    kate3937

Answer by kate3937 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My oldest is 14 and things have definitely changed since then but I don't think theres a wrong way to do it. Lots of stuff has changed for the better. I really did things the same way and I haven't listened to all the hype about stuff. I learned a long time ago that my instincts were good.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My kids (sons), are 25 (26 this year), just turned 20 and 18 this Nov. and Dec 2008. I haven't had to deal with major issues with them....however, they had to deal with their father and myself and our growing pains. My baby sister however...she has 3 that are out of the house...two boys, one a father and a daughter who is 21. Then she has Angel who is in the second grade...all have the same parents. That family lives in such chaos.... because the kids where raised to believe what they had made them who they are...the daughter is very disrespectful to her mother...trying to get her thrown in jail so she can live with daddy. The sons... one has kids with at least two women, no one is married and the middle son is going to jail for 168 days for his 3rd arrest of drinking and driving. Comparing how different my sister and I raised our kids... I have no complaints.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 11:46 AM on Feb. 1, 2009