is it normal to deliver at 40 weeks when your not a first time mom?

I am 39 weeks pregnant my due date is this Monday July 2nd and I am worried because three days ago my doctor rupture my membranes to help speed thing up after that i just had a liitle bit of dark bleeding but no contractions or any kind of pain just some pressure on my pelvic area when i walk, I have read stories of woman of going into labor with out having any pain and that has me worried because with my second child my water broke and did't have any contractions they had to give me petocin to start my labor should i head to the hospital or should i wait until the baby lets me know shes ready?

yoana03

Asked by yoana03 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2012 in Pregnancy

• I can't
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• You'll know. Believe me.

I didn't have contractions after my water broke but with my other two, where my water didn't break on it's own, I had plenty of contractions
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:00 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• When in doubt call your OB. He/she willl tell you when it's time to go in. Only go in if you feel something is truly wrong and even then, call your OB and tell him/her that you are heading over to the hospital. And yes, it's normal to deliver anytime between 36-42 weeks even if it's not your first.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:07 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• :) enjoy sleep while you can. It's not like you're never going to go into labor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:21 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• It is extremely rare for one to actually go into labor on their "due date." And just because you aren't laboring NOW does not mean you won't in 2 hours, kwim?

I agree with staci, just sit back, relax, enjoy some sleep, because you won't be getting much soon ;)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:29 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I have the same situation as Brawn. My water broke and I wasn't contracting, but when my water didn't break on it's own I was full of contractions.
    Every woman and every pregnancy is different. Just relax. If you start having contractions, bleeding, or a gush of water go in.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 6:33 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• uh - your doctor ruptured your membranes??? that is breaking your water. please tell me you mean swept, not ruptured.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:02 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• oh - and my 2nd baby was born at 41 weeks, and the last 3 within a couple days either way of 40 weeks.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:03 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Keep in perspective that 40 weeks is only the MID-point within the average (estimated) month-long due period.
    So it's totally normal and common to pass the mid-point! ;-)

You can choose to have the Pitocin if you like, but many of us wait for labor to begin after water breaks--- up to you.

What to do about when to leave for the hospital really depends on what sort of experience you want. Generally waiting at home as long as possible is safest.

Do you have a doula?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2012