What is your personal view of people with fibromyalgia?

This question is not for people WITH fibromyalgia. I am wondering what people know about it and their beliefs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Health

• I think fibromyalgia covers a lot of bases- in that several/many different conditions can create fibro in the body- and once it is there it is a vicious cycle in that fatigue leads to poor diet and little to no exercise which makes it all worse. But telling someone to go exercise or eat right without support medically, emotionally and fiscally is not helpful. Exercise worsens fibro unless the body has healed enough to receive it. Healthy eating won't help if there is an underlying food sensitivity/allergy/intolerance that goes unrecognized. Many people with fibro have multiple conditions- like GERD, IBS, asthma, allergies(nasal), migraines, endometriosis, depression, muscle spasms, insomnia, the list goes on and on... most of these conditions will feed into each other and make each one worse than it would be solo. Besides the side effects that come with medications to treat each ailment can sometimes produce more illness(es).
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• This should be interesting ~
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I'm not sure at what you are getting at here. That it's not real? I'm sure it's no picnic they are in pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I have a couple friends who have it. Its a very real disease. I have seen them go from regular active people to living in extreme pain in some cases. I am glad more research is being done to combat the symptoms. I know when one of my friends first got it all they did was throw various medication at her and none of it really helped her. She ended up having a breakdown from living in pain. People with the disorder are made to attend counseling to make sure they arent suffering from a mental disorder where their bodies display symptoms because of a mental disorder rather then real disease.

Answer by gemgem at 11:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I am not getting at anything. I want to know what people who do not have fibromyalgia think about people who do have it. And what they do know about the illness (disorder, disease, whatever.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Just like any other disease, disorder or whatever you want to call it. It's horrible and no one should have to live like that! Not with any disease!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I feel terribly bad for them. Any type of disease that causes widespread pain must be horrible to deal with. It is also terrible to live with somebody who has something like that. My mother does not have fibromyalgia, but she has rheumatoid arthritis, and it was hell growing up like that. It went undiagnosed for about 3 years because she was one of the few that the tests didn't come out right for, and nobody believed her. You feel bad because there is nothing you can do. And all the frustration-it is terrible. So I just feel bad, especially when nobody believes you.

Anonymous

• I know someone who has it. It isn't as severe as others that I have heard about. I do know that she has constant aches and pains which prevent her from getting regular exercise. I know she doesn't sleep well at night...the slightest little thing wakes her up and I don't believe she has gotten serious REM sleep in years. I believe that due to the lack of sleep, her concentration has suffered considerably. She has a very difficult time staying on task. She starts one thing, then another, then another and can't remember how she ended up where she did. She relies on others to help keep her on track. I know that before she was diagnosed she had a lot of unnecessary dental work done due to soft tissue swelling. It was one thing which caused another thing and so on. Once she was diagnosed, she ceased all dental work and in a few months it had all resolved itself. It is a very real issue which needs more research.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I can also tell you that anti inflammatory medication does help her with the aches and pains and that they give her very low doses of anti depressants to help her sleep at night. Other than that, there isn't much to be done that I am aware of.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My best friend has it.. NO doubt in MY mind that she is in pain...
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2009