Not exactly sure what to do

Last night my dh and I were visiting with close friends. After a pleasant evening of board games and snacks, the wife says "let us sing you our new duet" (they are professional singers). She starts in singing The Old Rugged Cross while he harmonizes with Zippity Doo Da.

This may seem funny, or no big deal, but I feel it was done to mock me. I have basically a christian belief system, and Im the only one of the group who does. I dont really talk about it or shove it down anyones throat. Its part of who I am and Im comfy with that. I dont need to be an overbearing jerk about it.

But I found it really offensive that two people I care about, and who care about me could act like this. If you dont buy into the whole mission behind Jesus death then thats your choice. But hewas still an innocent man who was tortured and murdered in front of his mother! Who can make fun of that? Iwould be heartbroken over this happening to anyone and I would notfind it a joking matter.

So, amI overreacting? I havent said a word and I didnt outwordly react to the song. What is your take on it? Maybe Im just being a freak.....

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 10:24 PM on Jun. 30, 2012 in Religion & Beliefs

• at first, yeah it seemed offensive.

but then think about it...the Old Rugged Cross is a slow serious song about Christ's death while Zippitty Do Da is an upbeat song that has the line "my oh my what a wonderful day". and technically, the day Christ was crucified is a sad and wonderful day at the same time. i mean without Christ's sacrifice Christians would go to hell, but its still a somber thing. does that make sense? kinda sounds beautiful when i thought of it that way.

so i guess it comes down to how y'all usually hang out. have they ever poked fun at your beliefs before? if not, id take it like i said above. if this isnt the first time then i'd be wary of hanging with them again.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:38 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I'm not Christian and that offends me even.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:26 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• considering the two songs have very different messages..
    and considering you alone have the beliefs of the hymn..
    have there been other times something was poked, perhaps not as deeply, or maybe you were paying more attention this time?
    did the rest of the group have a good belly laugh, at what (assuming) they all are aware might be offensive to you?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:30 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• Seriously, zippidy do da with Old Rugged Cross? That was one of my dad's favorite hymns and I havn't gone to church in over 20 yrs-and that's just wrong to me regardless the reason

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:35 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I am a Christian, although I stay pretty low key about it. But I would have been speechless, and deeply offended, by the song, and by the insensitivity of singing it in the presence of someone they knew was a believer.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Jun. 30, 2012

• I haven't a clue if you are over reacting. I'd need to hear what they did. But I don't find much on this earth that isn't subject to being made fun of or joked about or what not, however the humor lands.

Tell ya what, why not talk to these friends? Let them know the purpose of the song confused you and how you felt about it. That way you'll know what they ment and can go from there. Otherwise, chances are high you'll start to distance yourself from them in an effort to avoid getting hurt.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:28 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Since you are a Christian and they are not...here is what you are instructed to do.

(notice I did not say feel) Of course your feelings might be hurt.

You are to forgive them for they know not what they do. Hope you know I am saying it this way because beneath it all, you just need straight talk on what to do about how you feel.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 2:51 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• It's difficult because you are the only one in the room who holds these beliefs and they were trying to show off their new song.  You handled right just be polite and walk away.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• "Ok....Il try to look at it that way for a bit and see if that could be it. I doubt it but I dont want to be close minded"

well since they thought it was hysterical and seemed to be waiting for you to react, id go with your first feeling. you know them, i dont. sounds like you really need to talk to them about this b/c this isnt something friends do.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2012

• I think I would ask what prompted them to choose those songs and put them together.
    You might make them think a little about how you might have felt with their performance.
    Yes I find it offensive.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2012