Ear Infection in my Beagle

Last night my Beagle, Max, started shaking his head continuously. I know it's an ear infection, this is the same way he acted before. The inside is all red and our other dog keeps licking at his ear.

My question is: How can I make him comfortable and help with the itching until I can get him to the vet?? They don't open until 8 tomorrow morning, and poor Max is pretty miserable.

tracy0812

Asked by tracy0812 at 6:38 AM on Jul. 1, 2012 in Pets

• Diluted peroxide on a quip rub it around or put a few drops in his ear
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:21 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• Miconazole nitrate. You can get it at any drug store. He probably has a yeast infection in his ear. You can also give him an ibuprofen to help with any pain, or inflammation.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:04 AM on Jul. 1, 2012

• The vet gave me an ear wash solution to use. Wash his ear every other day. I've had really good luck with an ear powder that I bought at Petco. It seems to relieve the itch. I know it doesn't cure it though. He told me he would only prescribe an antibiotic if I let him culture it. I know what it is... I don't need a culture. I just keep it cleaned out now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2012