My husband

I am the one that disciplines the kids in my home. My husband will let the kids run wild and do whatever they want. He even lets the kids do things after I have told them they cannot. How do I stop my SO from doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, for me after I corrected HIM a few times He looked as if he were the Child in Trouble so he doesnt do it anymore.
    ssspw-world

Answer by ssspw-world at 11:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Well, you can't stop him. He needs to participate. I would start by having a discussion with what he thinks. He may be thinking you are too stern but doesn't want to tell you that. He may not think it matters if he participates but it does. I would emphasize how important the father is, in disciplining the children. They need to know he supports you because they are looking to him for the final word. I would approch him as a wife who needs his help and opinion rather than being forward about how is lack of participation undermines you. Be open to a discipline approach that you are comfortable with and then do not fill in for him. Let him make mistakes until he gets it. Sometimes our ability to be on top of the kids undermines our husbands ability to be involved. My own experience talking there.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I have told him on several occasions that he is wrong but he still does it. He says that we should not have boundaries for the kids. I think it is dangerous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Sit down with him and have a serious talk...You both need to be on the same page when it comes to how you are going to punish the children for bad behavior. Let him know how much you need his support. Maybe he thinks that you are doing a great job and he doesn't need to step in.
    MommyTatum

Answer by MommyTatum at 11:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2009