As a parent or as an educator, what do you think of No child Left Behind...

& standardized testing for the following school age bracket, as it applies to you:
FIRST GRADE -state standardized testing- do you find it to be effective or having negative results.
SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENTS- effective or not effective, and why?

letsgetreal

Asked by letsgetreal at 11:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I work for University Instructors as a part time tutor for the NCLB. I think its a good start to what we need but also obviously has some flaws since nothing is perfect. I think that teachers get too worked up on the end of grade tests and they fail to teach our kids the way we were taught. Too much emphasis is placed on the tests imo. However as for the tutoring etc I think its a great idea and not just because I am one. Many parents are not aware not only do their kids generally have access to after school tutoring but by calling the school district and pushing the issue they can have a tutor come to their homes. I dont know WHY schools fail to inform parents of this but its a big pet peeve. So many go without a tutor simply because they think its only an after school program and it isnt.

Answer by gemgem at 11:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I think the no child left behind thing is stupid, If the child doesnt understand, they dont need to go to the next grade, they need to learn what they are supposed to before moving on fer the next grade, and SOL's for 1st grade is just ridiculous
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• The tests are made so a child who doesnt understand ISNT passed onto the next grade. I think you dont know or havent read what NCLB is. Thats the WHOLE point. For years many many students were being passed who couldnt read or write because teachers werent held accountable. With gateways they are. Schools who continually fail to have students pass gateways are held accountable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• It should be about the teachers, not the students. If, after 3 consecutive years, the teacher's class has consistently bad scores, fire the teacher, don't penalize the school. If, after 3 consecutive years, the teacher's class has consistently excellent scores, reward the teacher. That means changing how class loads are assigned - the same teacher doesn't get the easy honors students while another teacher is always stuck with the ritalin kids. Also, when a child fails, hold them back, don't pass them on just because mommy doesn't believe it's her precious little snowflake's fault.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• There are flaws and that is to be expected. Unfortunately, the education system isn't into self monitoring so the processes and outcomes can be reviewed routinely and improved upon. When an institution doesn't regulate itself, outsider eventually will if the results are poor. If the education system figured out how to do this, it would not have been put upon them. I have this opinion as a parent and as a school employee. Instead of griping about it, I wish educators would focus on how to do it better. The poor quality of the system must be addressed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• "a child who doesnt understand ISNT passed onto the next grade"

I don't know about where you live, but here they make exceptions all the time. The louder the parent complains, the better chance an exception will be granted, usually by manipulating a few records to make the child exempt.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• i think that it is a joke.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• notpanicking, you have a point. there are many factors that contribute to the student learning however and they all need to be evaluated and improved. I think a continuous improvement processes needs to be developed and implemented starting with a standardized approach. Each state, district and school - even classroom - could customize some of the elements. The classroom outcomes and processes would apply to the specific teacher, the rest would lie with those responsible (principals, superintendants, school boards, depts of ed and so on).
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 11:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Like everything the NCLBA has some ups and downs and needs to be modified so that the good points of it stays and the bad points go. Here they start testing in the third grade which is really where they should. I also agree with notpanicking about the teachers being held accountable when their whole class does crappy compared to other classes of the same level. Responsibility should be on both the part of the student and the teacher. I however think the special ed students should be held to the level they can achieve and should be handled on an individual case by case determination on how they are improving. There are some kids in special ed who are totally retarted and can't really learn much beyond holding a pencil, they should be expected to read on target? Not realistic. And that is not the parents or the schools fault. It's just the child's ability.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Whether people believe this or not, 99.9% of parents with children that SHOULD be held back will get their way and their child goes on.Its not fair to the child, and IMO the parents aren't good parents for doing this to them.
    Anonymous